Thread: Looking for an easy winter fly to tie.

Default Looking for an easy winter fly to tie.

I'm battling to gain momentum in fly tying and am looking for a simple winter fly to gain confidence.
    Can somebody please recommend a fly that I can tie as a beginner to up my confidence.
    Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Even easier to tie than a WB is a Fritz or a Blob, very easy and doesn't take a lot of materials.

Also check the Grant Kieser Search Index, there is a lot of good SBS's in there and decide from there.

Good luck and enjoy.
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

Thanks a lot. Ill give them a try tomorrow

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I would definitely tie a Fritz as a beginner - it has a simple material list of hook, bead, thread, marabou and fritz/crystal chenille (whatever you call it), so it is really very simple to tie and catches a truckload of fish in most trout waters around the country.

Tie some black ones, olive ones, and orange ones especially for winter, and that should give you nice confidence.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Uli@84 View Post
    Even easier to tie than a WB is a Fritz or a Blob, very easy and doesn't take a lot of materials.

Also check the Grant Kieser Search Index, there is a lot of good SBS's in there and decide from there.

Good luck and enjoy.
    Wish that dude would keep it up to date though!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Wish that dude would keep it up to date though!
    Haha, no pun was intended

To add to your list of colours, could also look at white Marabou tail with Light olive chenile, it has a nice "Glassy" effect which you will see a lot in smaller minnows in clearer water, not sure how to explain the effect I mean, but if you look at small minnows, a lot of time the tail and body almost has a transparent effect, found these two gets this effect nicely in clearer water.
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

I've tied 20 woolly buggers with different tails. Still working on consistency. Nice to listen to some good music and chill whilst learning

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

Midge larva, red thread around a hook and if you can find it within yourself add some peacock herl... Or buy red hooks and just add the herl? lol

Midges and leeches are a winter favourite. Easy to tie, and you can experiment around with colours and dubbing blends.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/