Thread: Large mouth yellows from bloemhof to christiana

Default Large mouth yellows from bloemhof to christiana

Hi hi
    Just want to find out if anyone caught some largies this winter In this stretch of water? I tried almost all the pools and islands below the bridge in christiana. No luck!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johandre View Post
    Hi hi
    Just want to find out if anyone caught some largies this winter In this stretch of water? I tried almost all the pools and islands below the bridge in christiana. No luck!!!!!
    Hi Johandre.
    You are about 10 years to late on that stretch of water. Marius Rousseau from Klerksdorp fished that section many years ago, especially the state grounds AKA Wolwespruit. I have seen the pictures and there were a lot of double figure fish, even a few monster smallies. But due to the massive sedementation floods of 2002-2004 saw massive yellowfish kills in that area, the constant pollution of the Vals River from Kroonstad flowing in there, and of course the massive increase of grasscarp from Bloemhof dam itself. We have given up on the section from Klipplaatdrift Weir up to Bloemhof dam. You will start seeing yellows from Leeudoringstad bridge upstream and increase steadily up to Brandhoek and Regina area.

p.s. Sorry must have read your message wrongly. But I think below the damwall it would be the same. There were massive bluegreen algea booms in the dam, and the dam now acts like a duffer for some serious pollution, but I do think that for the first few kilos under the dam it would not be ideal for largies. I also remember about 7 years ago there were massive netting taking place in that area do to the local Chinese/ Bangladeshi shop owners giving locals nets to catch fish.

You should contact Dawie Ras, as he stays and fished that area. He is a resident in Christiana and I know he works with cultivating potatoes and experimenting with them, if I remember correctly, something about "mini-tubers".
    Plus side, I have a carp specimen angler friend who regularly complains about massive schools of smallmouth yellows "pestering" them, as the Free State law says none under 45cm can be weight and most of them are in the 15-25cm range. Maybe the river and dam will recover but with yellows slow growth rate and competition from aliens like grassies, and our helping hand sending down turds and fertilizers it would be a constant uphill battle
    Last edited by Barbus13; 09-07-15 at 09:35 AM.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Hi Barbus.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I know Dawie well as i also work with potatos will give him a ring.
    I saw a few largies near britten. But yes the water quality is not good. Must say that the smallies are plenty in summer. Caught allot of them. I also live in christiana moved here in desember and started fishing this stretch. Caught allot of smallies and about 26 of them were over the 3kg mark.

Also know of a few anglers who dit caught largies in the section below the bridge. But for some reason they are just not here this winter.

I also like to fish below the bridge in Warrenton.got some big smallies there

Quote Originally Posted by Johandre View Post
    Hi Barbus.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I know Dawie well as i also work with potatos will give him a ring.
    I saw a few largies near britten. But yes the water quality is not good. Must say that the smallies are plenty in summer. Caught allot of them. I also live in christiana moved here in desember and started fishing this stretch. Caught allot of smallies and about 26 of them were over the 3kg mark.

Also know of a few anglers who dit caught largies in the section below the bridge. But for some reason they are just not here this winter.

I also like to fish below the bridge in Warrenton.got some big smallies there
    Smallies are much more adaptable. Remember at one YWG meeting a conservationist stood up and said that he thought smallies actually adapted and thrived in certain pollution conditions. Largemouths seems to be the opposite, but except for the telemetry studie done at Wag 'n Bietjie by OVRYCMA and some student studies like one about Boskop info is still sketchy.
    I think largie waters differs from summer to winter, and you would need to get the deepest pools in the region where there is some flow, but not to much and fish that section hard from 10-3 in the day. Good minimums in the evening is just as important as good maximums in the day. Some guys believe you waste your time if water goes under 10C and anything over 11-12 in winter is good. Also look for barometer movements, when they about to drop or about to pick up. Fish also more natural colours, and someone once told me you don't fish largies if viz is under 40cm, because finding them are hard enough, you want optimal conditions.
    Hope it helps, best of luck, and if you get smallies let me know, will travel that side for a good 3kg smallie anyday, is under 200km from me.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

I have a mate who owns a Guesthouse in Christiana right on the banks shout if need details.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Thanks Barbus
    Thanks BEast Tamer i think I Know hom ... Hardus... We are fighting the battle together

Mooi man het hom laas week hier by my gehad moerse SM (paar kg botters) gevang!
    Gerrit Viljoen

Hy het my die foto gewys.... Dis n monster daai.

Ek het daar groot geword. Die "kallerkoppe" soos wat die oumense van die LM gepraat het was relatief volop. Van die ouens het rapalas gesleep agter die boot laer af onder die dam vir hulle. Deesdae is dit 'n bitter skaars vangs. Min ouens hengel spesifiek vir hulle daar in daardie strook. Ek kom nie meer baie op die water daar nie, maar ek sien die graskarpe het nou onder die dam ook begin oorneem.
    Blikoor,

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!