Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trout streams Grabouw area

Be careful about revealing the location of these little streams in open forum. The ROTENONE people are forever lurking

A stretch of the Palmiet, running past Rockview dam area, aparently has trout. Had to do a shutter job for a customer out there and the river looked awesome. May be I should make a courtesy call out there some time...
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

There are still plenty of trout in Theewaters,( I think they are doing better than the bass at this point in time, seeing as they head up into the streams to spawn and as such their eggs and fingerlings are not affected by catfish predation) but like you say, it is a daunting dam to fish. The best bet is to wait for it to overflow and then target the area around the barrage. My dad caught a lovely 5 pound Rainbow cock fish right next to the overflow 2 years ago. (are we still allowed to use the word 'cock' on here?)
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    The best bet is to wait for it to overflow and then target the area around the barrage.
    Where is the barrage?

It is on the South Eastern side of the dam. If you approach from Franshoek Pass, turn left when you get to the T-junction. Just before Villiersdorp, turn right, in the direction of Caledon. You will pass the golf course and a little way further you will see the barrage. There is a good laybye on your left. Dont overlook the pool below the barrage. This is basically the start of The Riviersonderend. Good bluegill to be caught in the basin below the aquaduct and also the odd trout and bass.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Hmm, will definitly have to take a look next time I go up there. Thanks!

Ed Herbst wrote a piece on buttonquail sometime last year where someone caught a yellowfish in their stretch of river along with the stocked trout. In a later issue it was confirmed as a yellowfish of some sort. From pictures I have seen of buttonquail it looks really nice and SWAMBO and I have it pencilled in for a visit when the temperatures rise a bit... It looks really good for Swambo and kids.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    There are still plenty of trout in Theewaters,( I think they are doing better than the bass at this point in time, seeing as they head up into the streams to spawn and as such their eggs and fingerlings are not affected by catfish predation) but like you say, it is a daunting dam to fish. The best bet is to wait for it to overflow and then target the area around the barrage. My dad caught a lovely 5 pound Rainbow cock fish right next to the overflow 2 years ago. (are we still allowed to use the word 'cock' on here?)
    Abslolutely not, it is a whidgie fish

Ed Herbst wrote a piece on buttonquail sometime last year where someone caught a yellowfish in their stretch of river along with the stocked trout. In a later issue it was confirmed as a yellowfish of some sort. From pictures I have seen of buttonquail it looks really nice and SWAMBO and I have it pencilled in for a visit when the temperatures rise a bit... It looks really good for Swambo and kids.

Grant if you are going to Buttonquail I suggest you also invite your bank manager or be prepared to do a stint of grovelling!

Hehe - Yeah I know John. The price seems to make it more appealing to swambo for some reason..
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast