Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trout streams Grabouw area

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Default Trout streams Grabouw area

Are there any known and unknown trout streams in the Grabouw area?

If there are any, I don't know about them. Chris knows all the fishable rivers and streams in areas not frequently fished. If anyone can tell you, he will.

The Upper Palmiet on Ralph Garlick's resort was supposedly stocked with triploid trout a few years back. I've forgotten the name of the place but Johno knows it

Ed Herbst wrote a short article about it a few years back - something about possibly finding a lost strain of yellows etc

The closest stream that still has trout in it is the Elands which flows through Villiersdorp. The best time to fish it is when the Elandskloof dam overflows and then you get the big lake trout from Theewaters moving up into the higher reaches of the stream. Access to the upper reaches is private, but you can ask the farmer for permission to gain access. His name is Oom Kobus Le Roux. Incidentally, he has a lovely private campsite up there by the name of 'Twistniet'. Membership is something like R450 a year, which will buy you your own key, and unlimited access. I have lost his tel number, but you could try the info line, 1023. Hope this helps.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Is the name of the resort perhaps Buttonquail? A few years ago John Yelland fished that section of the Palmiet. Apparently the fishing was good.

Right on the button. http://www.buttonquail.co.za/

RATES FOR BUTTONQUAIL - 10th June 2007

STRICTLY NO ANIMALS ALLOWED
    Trout fishing:
    Catch and release - fly rods with barbless flies are the only fishing tackle permitted on the property - we have 2 rods avail. NO other form of fishing tackle is permitted on the property.

minimum 2 nights over weekends
    arrival 2pm/ departure 11am (under normal circumstances)
    includes complimentary tea/coffee etc..plus cooking condiments
    includes bathroom goody bags
    includes activities

R450 per adult per night sharing (ie.R900 per couple)
    R100 per child 2-12 p/night sharing with adults
    R200 per child 13-16 p/night sharing with adults

WINTER SPECIAL
    R750 per couple with 1/2 children below 14yrs old (extra kids charged at R100 each up to 14yrs/ R200 each up to R18yrs)
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 20-06-07 at 10:10 AM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Have you been to Buttonquail Buzz? What is the stream fishing like?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Hi Chris!!

I went to have a look at the place about a year ago. (did not fish - no day visitors.) It looked pretty promising - however I nearly had a heart attack when they told me the rates. (Seems aimed at foreign tourists.)
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 20-06-07 at 10:37 AM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

I agree, those rates look pretty hectic to me, but then again, it looks like they are running quite a upmarket resort there.

Has anyone fished Theewaterskloof Dam? Im always up there but thought the mass bass population would have devastated it?? Have never tried for trout.. Any point??

I know that there are trout in a little river that flows through a friend of mines farm - Neil Jackson. Its VERY tight but there are fish in there. He is a great guy and I'm sure mind you potting around there. NOT for the faint hearted though!! Its SOOOPER tight, brambles every where!! He also has a tiny reservoir which is probably 20mx30m which a remember catching and releasing a fat 22inch hen a couple of years back!! That blew my mind!! I was amazed that a fish that big could come out of a piece of water that small!! It was never stocked, I must have come from the river through the pipe works!! Amazing! (Unfortunately is wasn't my fish and it was caught on conventional tackle)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast