Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rod building kits

Talking Rod building kits

Good day to all,

Moving on to the next level of fly fishing.

I'm keen to build my 1st fly rod. Initially I think it to be wise to start with a building kit and then upping the ante. However, I'm not sure how difficult this would be. Do I start with a rather inexpensive blank originally or do I go the whole hog and do the TFO/Sage/Thomas thing. So the questions are the following:
    1) Who would supply fly rod building kits in SA?
    2) Where do I obtain a video from?
    3) Can I take the manufacturer's spec's of the blank (fast/medium etc.) to be the same as how the rod would perform after a 'home' build?
    4) Which are the better inexpensive blanks to initially try this on initially?

Your experience will be greatly appreciated and when I see you on the water, I'll be sure to invite you for a beer afterwards.

Kind regards,
    Pierre

http://www.flyrodbuildingkits.com/
    See if these guys have anything that interests you. Not being a rod builder myself, I have no way of knowing if the kits are any good, but there seems to be a lot on the internet, with tutorials and advice. Good luck, keep us updated on your builds.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

go cheap first. you going to make mistakes.
    there is nothing worse than trying to get epoxy of a R4000 blank.
    sorry, not being negative, but that is the reality of it.
    your easiest bet:
    go to mudhole.com.
    pick a cheap kit.
    register on sealine.
    look for enigma (craig)
    e mail him and ask him to quote you for what you picked. he has an account with them, and you will save PLENTY on shipping.
    he will be able to supply you with epoxy needed as well.
    practice on your cheap kit until you happy with your handywork.
    good luck, and persevere.
    there is nothing more satisfying than building your own.
    catch and release

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the info. I'm more the angler than the rod builder. Will see if I become impatient during the build or not, will most probably.

Will keep you updated. Seems the only way I can own a Sage One rod is to build it myself.

Cool, great idea.

Craig has previously brought in some stuff for my shark fishing.

I'll give him a call.

Get all the Mudhole stuff from Craig at Stream X. Start with MHX or similar - they are actually really good blanks.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I took up my first rod building project two years ago, and really, to make an acceptable rod it is a pretty easy task. Some things are important, read a lot about the steps before hand, understand the overall process, do some practise wraps on an varnished dow of wood, or a broken rod piece, get your dryer and epoxy mixing skills sorted (This is the most crucial step in my opinion).

I kind of have a different opinion about the blank to first build. Yeah dont go an by a Tom Morgan blank for your first time, but on the other end of the scale, if you build well on a terrible blank, you will never want to fish it. Rather go with something with good value, like a TFO BVK. Its something you will fish, and wont break the bank - You want to be proud of the rod at the end of the day, and if you built on a shit blank, you wont be.

The most important thing is take your time - dont rush into building it as soon as you get it. Run through the process a few times, order extra epoxy, and read as much as you can. Mudhole does some great online videos for building rods - they are bait casters, but the process is much the same. One more thing, if something is not perfect, like a wrap, or guide alignment - DO IT AGAIN. It will take 10 minutes to redo, and never compromise on the build.

I have had a Tom Morgan Glass 5wt blank sitting staring at me for the last 5 months because I dont feel prepared to build it yet. I want that to be the best I can make, and that will require time, practise and patience.

If you need anymore help just shout and I will share as much of my rudimentary knowledge as possible.
    Last edited by JadeDsantos; 20-07-15 at 03:56 PM.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Im with jade, dont go too cheap. It takes too much time to build a rod and then you have something you will never fish. I bought extra guides and epoxy and just did a couple of test builds on a thin round piece of metal.

Everything except the epoxy part is easy, you will need a electric dryer if you dont already have one and only do a couple of wraps at a time. If things go south and the epoxy looks wobbly while applying, bite the bullet, remove the epoxy while wet, rewrap(if its your first layer of epoxy) and redo.

What weight rod do you plan on building?

Thanks Mario,
    Will have a look. What action are these blanks?

Hi Izak,

I would prefer to build a 5wt, 10 ft rod. I'm not sure that I'm able to obtain a 10ft blank however, will have to research. Any ideas?

Jade- I think your idea regarding a blank that is fishable is good one, I'll have a look at the BVK. Did you buy the blank only or the kit? I see there are kits available from various suppliers. Who did you get your parts from, any one in SA that you can recommend?

Thank you for you comments gentlemen, much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast