Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Egg flies

Default Egg flies

So the past 2 winters I have been skunked because of the absence of a serviceable egg pattern in my flybox while out on our trout stillwaters. I would greatly appreciate some inputs on which egg patterns have worked well for you, materials used to tie them, and how you'd fish them. Much appreciated!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

There are a number of patterns available
    It seems to me, that just about all of them work. the big thing with egg patterns is doing you enjoy the specific design to tie and to fish?
    From my experiences it seems that some fly fishers have a "mental block" against certain patterns as it does not "constitute" real fly tying.
    the best pattern I have seen was an Antron dubbing egg.
    WIll try and find the youtube link.
    Really cool tie and pattern
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    There are a number of patterns available
    It seems to me, that just about all of them work. the big thing with egg patterns is doing you enjoy the specific design to tie and to fish?
    From my experiences it seems that some fly fishers have a "mental block" against certain patterns as it does not "constitute" real fly tying.
    the best pattern I have seen was an Antron dubbing egg.
    WIll try and find the youtube link.
    Really cool tie and pattern
    Thanks, would appreciate the link. And yes, you hit the nail on the head ito "have a "mental block" against certain patterns as it does not "constitute" real fly tying", but in my case it was more "it's just not cricket" ito approach. However, the cock-fish that were caught (on eggs while fish were in spawning mode) last season and this season while I blanked made me question my thought process. After all (as a friend reminded me) eggs are a natural food source, and the fish would eat them when available. It actually makes much more sense than a Blob, or Wooly Bugger when you think about it.

I have tried to tie Pat Dorsey's Nuclear Egg, but mine look more nuclear than egg sadly. Could be the materials I used though.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks, I have tied similar, but they sank like a stone. Plastic bead inside that I got at the local haberdashery. Is that okay? Are they not supposed to have a fairly neutral buoyancy?
    Mario Geldenhuys

You want the eggs on the bottom.
    That is where they are deposited.
    the eggs are not going to rise to the surface or mid-way in the water column.
    If the eggs are on the bottom, you can manipulate the drift.
    If it is neutral buoyancy how are you going to get it down in the feeding zone?
    Korrie Broos

If it is neutral buoyancy how are you going to get it down in the feeding zone?
    Drowned by another heavier pattern?? All the eggs patterns I have seen have been totally unweighted (like the one you sent in the link) - so assumed they would all need to be drowned and kept just off the bottom. Obviously not
    Mario Geldenhuys

Mario Geldenhuys

Hmmmm - perhaps this sort of thing, but the mono melted to close the hole and secure the bead. Then combine that veil stuff over it? Will ride hook-up as well, which seems is going to be a bonus!!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Jaag 'n hoek deur 'n pom pom hehehe!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast