Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly reel you'd most love to own - what's yours?

Default Fly reel you'd most love to own - what's yours?

Simple idea - no budget constraint, any model current or past, discontinued or not. What fly reel and why with a pic if possible.

Ross San Miguel 2 or 3

I've got a bit of a thing going on with fibreglass rods and I would love a mint Ross San Miguel on my EPIC 5wt. I still think about seeing one in a case at the old Fly Fisherman shop in Hilton - around R3k then. Now more than twice that. There is just something about this reel which is visually perfect and timeless - I'm sick to death of blingy large arbours which is about all everyone makes these days...

san miguel.jpg
    san miguel 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lacustris View Post
    In my mind you mean " the prettiest reel in a photograph..." Pentz Predator, I own three of them...
    the best photogenic reels are Pentz and Nautilus, cheeky comment, but its the truth.

Maybe next year I'll pick up up a abalabamana or carixnana, but I'll wait until Gani's sell them as discontinued, unsellable stock, load them with parking attendant orange vest backing and take pretty pictures using them with a Vaalsunshit in the background.
    So 'Weighed, weighed and found wanting...' - all show and no go?

+1 one on the Pentz Predator - I had a 678 and foolishly sold it. There's one (made for T&T) for sale at $600 at the mo.

Also had and sold an original No.2 A/R Finnor, a pair of Pates, an API Searun (worth >$500, got it for a few hundred ZAR and sold it to a mate - still working on him to sell it back!) and a Sage 707 made by Loop. Seems to be a pattern...

When it comes to stream reels, I really like the looks of the original Dannielsen reels. From a functionality point of view, I don't think that they are ideally suited to our local trout stream conditions, but its a pretty reel nonetheless, and I love fishing with my Dannielsen Midge.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Danielson, nautilus, shilton.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

stream fishing - wychwood #2/3
    river fishing - abel sd 4/5
    coastal/estuaries - abel 7/8n

Just googled "fly fishing reels" and selected images....wow

The Danielssons are really special - the design hasn't changed in 20 years and the Midge / Nymph are the best looking of the litter. ATH - beautiful reels and these days serious collector's items...

Yup, my midge is my prized possession... I just love it. I got it in a swop for a Sage 10 foot 6wt XP.... I think I really scored there.
    Quote Originally Posted by allsorts View Post
    The Danielssons are really special - the design hasn't changed in 20 years and the Midge / Nymph are the best looking of the litter. ATH - beautiful reels and these days serious collector's items...
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

10. Default

My dream reel is a custom of Andy Ramish based on a combination of his T1/T2-Euro and AR1.

http://www.tightlineflyreels.com/
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast