Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Rhodes info

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    188

    Default Rhodes info

    Hi guys

    I'm going Rhodes in October for a 50th birthday party with a group of friends and I'm the only fly fisherman in the group. I definitely want to fish the Bell near town and a few guys have said they would like to give it a try.

    So I have a few rods that I'll take with but the questions are:

    · Where can we go that's good for beginners. Somewhere easy to fish from the side or easy wading.
    · Guess we must book 2 beats so we can cast and walk up, allowing everyone to try the next section.
    · Somewhere close to town and preferably that any spectators that want to come along can watch from the side or can have something to do.

    Now I realise that all of the above may not be possible but anything close will do.

    We'll probably only do this once over the 4 days we there and only for a half day session, so the best possible place you can suggest will be much appreciated.

    Then a final question, If I can sneak out for an hour or two at some stage is there any public water within walking distance or short drive from the Rubicon where we'll be staying.

    Any advice will be appreciated.

    Regards
    Grant

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,399
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Hey Grant - All of that should be easily achievable.

    If its only one session close to town I would fish Kinmel or Newstead as those beats are just out of town and offer good fishing. The wading is along fields and not physically demanding at all.

    In my opinion most beginners can fish most of Rhodes waters with success. Enjoy, have fun, and hope you come right.

    J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant111 View Post
    Hi guys

    I'm going Rhodes in October for a 50th birthday party with a group of friends and I'm the only fly fisherman in the group. I definitely want to fish the Bell near town and a few guys have said they would like to give it a try.

    So I have a few rods that I'll take with but the questions are:

    · Where can we go that's good for beginners. Somewhere easy to fish from the side or easy wading.
    · Guess we must book 2 beats so we can cast and walk up, allowing everyone to try the next section.
    · Somewhere close to town and preferably that any spectators that want to come along can watch from the side or can have something to do.

    Now I realise that all of the above may not be possible but anything close will do.

    We'll probably only do this once over the 4 days we there and only for a half day session, so the best possible place you can suggest will be much appreciated.

    Then a final question, If I can sneak out for an hour or two at some stage is there any public water within walking distance or short drive from the Rubicon where we'll be staying.

    Any advice will be appreciated.

    Regards
    Grant
    Just running around a little this morning, will reply in a bit more detail later today ....
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,078

    Default

    If you get up early enough, you can fish 3 to 4 hours every morning and be back when most will be getting up.
    Back by 9 or 9:30, I am sure you might be in time for breakfast.
    PS: do not believe the BS about trout not feeding until the sun is on the water.
    They eat right thru the night and day.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant111 View Post
    · Where can we go that's good for beginners. Somewhere easy to fish from the side or easy wading.
    · Guess we must book 2 beats so we can cast and walk up, allowing everyone to try the next section.
    · Somewhere close to town and preferably that any spectators that want to come along can watch from the side or can have something to do.
    As Jade said, the beats directly above and below Rhodes suit all the above. No major gradient, the Crack Willows have been cut down, and there should be the odd fish to catch as well. Drive a little further upstream (Parkgate/Hamilton) and you will be accessing some superb water (not WTA). It's really not that far, probably a 15-20 minute drive out. Well worth it!!

    Just a heads-up on beat lengths (WTA Beats only - all other beats can be arranged/booked via Linecasters/Fred Steynberg or with the farm owners):

    Lovedale 2.2km
    Newstead 2.8km
    Rhodes Common 1.5km
    Earlstown, Upper 1.2km

    Rhodes commonage
    Upstream: 30º 47´ 33.13 S 27º 57´ 52.11 E
    Downstream: 30º 47´ 48.21 S 27º 57´ 28.60 E
    In Main Street, almost opposite the intersection with Kerk Street is a pedestrian gate next to a lone willow tree. Follow the footpath to the Bell River and from where a mat can be seen across the river that demarcates the upstream boundary. From this point, fish downstream past the bridge to Tuschielaw and the village pump station to a mat adjacent to the cemetery, the bottom boundary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant111 View Post
    Then a final question, If I can sneak out for an hour or two at some stage is there any public water within walking distance or short drive from the Rubicon where we'll be staying.
    The only "public" water is the Commonage water (directly next to town). You can maybe arrange with Rubicon to fish Lamont (on the Kloppershoekspruit) but that is also a bit outside Rhodes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    PS: do not believe the BS about trout not feeding until the sun is on the water.
    Although Korrie is correct about trout feeding throughout, October can still be pretty cold in Rhodes, and fishing in the shady side of the mountain can make things harder very early in the mornings. Fish are less active than they would be later on in the day (due to aquatic activity) and water temps can still be well below 12-13°C. This is all "COULD" though, so if the temps are up, by all means.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Some of the best fishing I had in Rhodes on my last trip was in the commonage water on the Bell. Not many fish ,, but some good sized ones, and very technical fishing... great fun.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Thanks for all the guidance guys, really appreciate it.
    Pretty sure that will be more than enough to work with.

    Lastly.

    Flies? The usual PTN (AKA my little brown jobs with spikes), GRHE, etc and dry dropper setup will do the job.
    And I'm guessing 6x tippets will do?

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant111 View Post
    Thanks for all the guidance guys, really appreciate it.
    Pretty sure that will be more than enough to work with.

    Lastly.

    Flies? The usual PTN (AKA my little brown jobs with spikes), GRHE, etc and dry dropper setup will do the job.
    And I'm guessing 6x tippets will do?
    Jip, nothing else really needed
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Jip, nothing else really needed
    Thanks Mario

    Now just have to make it happen.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    If you get up early enough, you can fish 3 to 4 hours every morning and be back when most will be getting up.
    Yup, experienced Korrie's "early rise" in Lesotho on a couple of occasions :-)
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

    Reap the Whirlwind - WM

    Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •