Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 5 criteria when choosing FF Rod

Default 5 criteria when choosing FF Rod

Hey FF warriors !
    Assuming basic specs are chosen, according to type of water, fish and flies ,what is your 5 main criteria when choosing the right fly rod bitch ?

To start, these are my 5 criteria .

1. Pleasure ( ie pleasant feeling when casting -loading/unloading /shoot out /fly presentation/fish fighting )
    2. Maximum Leader Length (allowing straight leader turnover ) -
    3. Recovery Speed (time which rod tip needs to get back from the fully bended position point to RSP -rod straight position)
    4.Bouncing (read : rod tip mustn't bounce once in RSP , funny waves in the loop bottom leg will show you if there is bouncing or not)
    5.Fatigue &Pain (in the back, arm, shoulder, elbow , hand and fingers after full day of demonic casting & fishing )

I also add possibility of measuring these 5 criteria, so everyone can be on the same page with possibility to compare his criteria with others :
    Measuring of 5 criteria :
    1. cannot be measured , but if one get smile on his face after each cast , or say - fak , what a pleasure of casting etc ..that's it .If there is no such a pleasure after each cast , fak the rod.
    2. easily to measure
    3. can be measured , but if your loop is tight and loop point energized and sharp with minimum of power applied -that's it
    NOTE on point 3 : : do not get trapped in the market misconception boolshit advertising - the truth is that some of the so called stiff rods can have slow recovery and so called soft rods can have fast recovery
    4. could be seen in loop bottom leg
    5. he he , cannot be measured , but you will damn feel it after full day fishing . The next morning, you will take a look at your rod innocently seating in the corner - with gratitude or with hate and desire to make that bitch 9 pieces rod , that's it .

Price, rod material, brand name, and other biased preferences- like a misconceptions caused by big rod companies advertising(manipulation and boolshits during all of these years) ... etc -please get out of criteria.

The last criteria is number 6. Actual Fishing Efficiency = minimum of lost fish, minimum of tippet snap off , use of tiniest tippet possible , possibility to nicely present #22 CDC and bulky Streamer fly with the same rod etc , but do not want to make it too complicated .

Cheers,
    Zoran
    Last edited by Zoran; 09-09-15 at 12:09 PM.

must have not brand name boolshit, with non plastic components.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

he he , thanks Andre
    you are right , we said : no brand name, no rod material boolshit , no ff rod catalogues craps
    just your own criteria ,coming from great experience and knowledge and love and passion for FF !
    Last edited by Zoran; 09-09-15 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    must have not brand name boolshit, with non plastic components.
    Like stone, or wood?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

or crude oil or polymers
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Like stone, or wood?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

or crude oil or polymers
    Which of course is NOT where plastic comes from!!
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Most plastics are synthesised from crude oil petroleum derivatives... where did you think plastic comes from?
    Which of course is NOT where plastic comes from!!

Most plastics are synthesised from crude oil petroleum derivatives... where did you think plastic comes from?
    You see, that is the problem when reading your posts - I'm not sure when you are being stupid or being rhetorical.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Niether, that's not stupid nor is it rhetorical. Its fact. What problem do you have with my statement.?
    You see, that is the problem when reading your posts - I'm not sure when you are being stupid or being rhetorical.

Niether, that's not stupid nor is it rhetorical. Its fact. What problem do you have with my statement.?
    Sigh, I don't have a problem with your statement Andre - but thanks for taking mine as being stupid and not rhetorical
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast