Thread: Best time to fish Barkley East

Question Best time to fish Barkley East

Please could I have some advice on the BEST time of year to fish the Barkley East area - mainly trout - but also those nice yellows that come up the rivers.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Please could I have some advice on the BEST time of year to fish the Barkley East area - mainly trout - but also those nice yellows that come up the rivers.
    When the rivers are in good flow is usually the best time
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Seriously thought, March/April & Sept/Oct is pretty good times - water will usually be OK those times, but best to call up ahead and hear what the rivers are like.

Even in really low flow you can have great fishing - just depends on how hard you want to work, that's all.

So, I guess I'm saying that all times are good ...
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I also go with March/April, there's usually a festival of whiskey (Bells).
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I've been fly fishing in & around Barkly East area a few years now & found that it is always best to phone ahead before fishing these areas (rainfall. draught etc... is a major factor).

If the rivers are low you can still have a good days fishing, just remember you will have to do a lot of walking to get to the best pools & they are far & few between (depending which river you are fishing).

later
    Francois

Thanks everyone.

I want to get up there this year ... so it looks as though it will be Sept/Oct ....

I have been once before .. it was amazing!! .. paradise!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Thanks everyone.

I want to get up there this year ... so it looks as though it will be Sept/Oct ....

I have been once before .. it was amazing!! .. paradise!!
    Jasper, PM me, I'll try to help out with your planning as much as I can. Barkly/Rhodes is my home waters, so please feel free ...
    Mario Geldenhuys