Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cape Streams

Default Cape Streams

Hi all.

I know there has been a lot of threads on this topic, but I've got a couple of questions that I cant find answers to.

I am moving to Grabouw at the end of this month, and I did some research on the fishing in and around the area. I found that by not travelling to far, I can get to some very nice streams.

I've never done any stream fishing as I'm more of a salty/stillwater/bass angler at the moment, but the streams look like a awesome challenge with the bonus of being in beautiful nature surroundings.

I would like to find out what equipment I will need to get started. What weight rod, length and action? Any recommendations on specific rods that aren't too expensive will be appreciated.

Then what line would you recommend with regards to tapers and densities.

Then my last question - what season is best to tackle the streams, hopefully its still coming .

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Books have been written on less than you ask.
    Season runs from 1 September to 31 May, and booking is done through the CPS. Best to get hold of someone who has experience with the streams, and go with them, and learn the basics.
    The Cape rivers are freestone, pocket waters, and are best fished by wading. Drag free drift is important with short accurate well presented cats. Dry fly, nymph and attractor fishing are successful most of the time. The Cape rivers are mostly slightly acidic and nutrient barren, which creates for a very high diversity of food, although small numbers of specific insects, so trout feeding is very opportunistic, and so consequently, generic "hatch matching" flies will apply, and very seldom is it required to have an exact hatch matching fly.
    Trout can be quite spooky, particularly in the late season months, ans stealth and technique can make the rivers challenging at times.
    Regarding equipment, firstly, a good pair of polarised sun glasses, to enable you to spot the fish, as most of the fishing is to sighted fish. A rod up to 4 wt is going to work, with a floating line and leaders 4x to 8X of various length depending on conditions. Most Cape stream fishermen develop their own tackle setup.
    Fish are rainbow and browns, and up to 20 inches, although most are in the 12 inch range.
    Good luck.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi
    I have a couple of rods, from #2 to #5 that you can borrow for a day or 2.
    When you are in the Cape, let me know and we go and fish.
    It might help you decide what you require.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks for the info Andre.

Korrie, I will let you know as soon as I'm settled in and will definitely take you up on your generous offer.

Also got a rod, line, reel, flies, spare boots, size dependent, fly vest etc etc... so when you here, lets all go fish. If you can handle a day with me and Korrie, you will probably be able to handle anything that life will throw at you...
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

It's unbelievable how generous you guys are and your willingness to help is amazing. I guess that just shows you how tight our fly fishing community is! In my short time on FlyTalk Scythe helped me to get my 9wt setup sorted, Andre gave me a 5wt rod and now Korrie and Andre are offering this.

I've been involved in provincial golf, national boat racing, club rugby and more, but never received so much support, advice and help as in this fly fishing.

RESPECT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Also got a rod, line, reel, flies, spare boots, size dependent, fly vest etc etc... so when you here, lets all go fish. If you can handle a day with me and Korrie, you will probably be able to handle anything that life will throw at you...
    That made me smile Andre . . . .one thing is for sure - you will leave a much better nympher.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

And are they skinned or un-skinned
    Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    Do you have a special method for attaching these cats Andre.....
    Regards
    Craig

Ha ha Alex.... yeah....with a fly that looks like a mouse, or a sardine... or a saucer of milk..........
    Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    Do you have a special method for attaching these cats Andre.....

I can't wait to get together with them Catman. I know absolutely nothing about streams. Presentation and finesse are things I only read about, cause coming from a saltwater and float tubing background those two aren't that important. So I've got a lot to learn, but its good to hear that I will be learning from the best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast