Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: 9ft versus 10ft for tube fishing

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    You asked, we tried to answer
    That you did. Thanks for the effort. Was hoping for slightly more cerebral insights or thought. But then, this is Flytalk. Will post teaser on the USA forum

Quote Originally Posted by white death View Post
    Is it not to do with the swingweight of the rod when using a longer rod, one requires a heavier reel to balance out the extra weight in the tip. I had a 10 foot Scott no7 - still one of the spigot models in the 1980's and that rod could throw a measured cast of 130 feet but is was a horrible rod to fish with. I overloaded it with an 8# line and used it in the sea. Shorter rods are fighting tools but when you need reach. a 9 footer, to me is a happy medium.That Sage Bass rod is built as a close up, pull fish out of cover rod for Bass, Pike, etc.Bass pro Shop developed a similar series of rods - you could probably haul in sounding Tuna from a boat with these sticks.Should do well on the GT's on the islands.
    Not so sure about the close in design brief. Does that well but also casts a country mile. The combo of rod and line is designed to turn over large, bushy flies.

Will make a lekker Geet rod, as you say.

Also casts a 8 wt nicely. Go figure.

Anyway, the combo of short length, taper and aggressive line taper certainly makes for a very versatile fishing tool. I wonder why this path is not followed more often though.

Clearly you are talking about a rod that I have never seen or touched. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the rod that you describe.
    Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    what it will prove, using the same rod blank and same line without a butt (butt naked). if not the exact same as the name 7'6" rod from the manufacturer then pretty close, maybe you would/wont feel the difference but it would be fair than using "a" model 10' and "b" model 7'6" to figure out the answer to this threads question.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Clearly you are talking about a rod that I have never seen or touched. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the rod that you describe.
    if you a want rod that can be extented, there are many, echo shadow is a nice rod or have one built.

No I don't particularly want an extendable rod. But if you think that removing the butt section of a 10 foot rod, and it performs anything remotely like a 7'6 rod, then I would very much like to see this miraculous rod.
    if you a want rod that can be extented, there are many, echo shadow is a nice rod or have one built.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    No I don't particularly want an extendable rod. But if you think that removing the butt section of a 10 foot rod, and it performs anything remotely like a 7'6 rod, then I would very much like to see this miraculous rod.
    no, you sure.
    andre i have done this before with my 9 footer, certain rivers/streams with the tigh brush overhead and unable to roll cast due to water speed has left me resorting to breaking down the length of rod. hell its not the perfect scenario but did the required trick. and because i have cast with the last section, it could easily replace the bow and cast in many situations if you'd caare to try.
    doing this to your rod not only tells you how good your casting technique is but also give you the perfect insight to leverage.
    andre here is another miraculous rod from gatti that can be set at 7'6" to 9' then to a 10' and if needed to a 11' http://www.gatti-flyrods.it/tele.html

I hear you, and I have done the same on occasions on the streams where I have taken a section off to make a tight cast, I also don't know the Gatti, but have heard of it, and so cant really comment. Both situations you mention here, are not anything like removing the butt section of a 10 footer and expecting it to be similar to a 7'6 rod from the same manufacturers range...so lets agree to disagree.
    no, you sure.
    andre i have done this before with my 9 footer, certain rivers/streams with the tigh brush overhead and unable to roll cast due to water speed has left me resorting to breaking down the length of rod. hell its not the perfect scenario but did the required trick. and because i have cast with the last section, it could easily replace the bow and cast in many situations if you'd caare to try.
    doing this to your rod not only tells you how good your casting technique is but also give you the perfect insight to leverage.
    andre here is another miraculous rod from gatti that can be set at 7'6" to 9' then to a 10' and if needed to a 11' http://www.gatti-flyrods.it/tele.html

agreed Andre, i should of paid more attention to the construction of my message, i must of used my full flex fingers to cast a full line.
    besides the above, i'am impressed with your approach to break down the rod to make the cast, many move on from a challenging and rewarding situation

I once watched Chase Nicholson at the Protea trials some years back, fish the last half hour of his session with the top three section of his rod, due to a breakage. He caught fish, although had to significantly adjust the approach.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5