Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: tight loops vs opn loops

hehehe, chuck norris cant fly fish, tight or open loops, he strips the dressing off the fly when casting.
    i always use tight loops except when using mutiple flies (3 flies) for nymphing to prevent tangles. nymphing with a double or a single fly i still use the tight loop. for dry fly fishing (always a single fly) i use tight loops, it gives me accuracy and most importantly the extra free drift time.
    @ Andre, the construction of your leader, is it made up of hard mono with a soft tippet?

Yes, single dry is an application that requires a nice tight loop, except perhaps for very short range dry fly fishing. But to get accuracy and good aerodynamics, the loop needs to be a good closed one.
    My leaders are generally a supple mono, stepped with different diameters . I use various leader constructions for various applications, but for still waters, generally a flat untapered 5 to 7 pound mono throughout. I don't generally add a tippet section, its very easy to change a leader or build one on the spot. I use Maxima double x Patinum Plus. I have used it for years and it suits all my leader requirements.
    Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    hehehe, chuck norris cant fly fish, tight or open loops, he strips the dressing off the fly when casting.
    i always use tight loops except when using mutiple flies (3 flies) for nymphing to prevent tangles. nymphing with a double or a single fly i still use the tight loop. for dry fly fishing (always a single fly) i use tight loops, it gives me accuracy and most importantly the extra free drift time.
    @ Andre, the construction of your leader, is it made up of hard mono with a soft tippet?
    Last edited by Andre; 25-08-15 at 08:45 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

thanks for sharing Andre. i used to use maxima ultragreen for about two thirds of the tapered butt section followed by the hinge (has Joe Humphrey called it) of soft mono and the tippet also being soft. of late i have been using stroft in place of maxima and dont see much advantage except for strength and cost.
    for the wide open loops, does your constructed tapered leader have more thickness then drops drastically just before the tippet section?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I use Maxima double x Patinum Plus.
    I drive a Volvo Volkswagen Hilax Sport, suits all my needs perfectly. Just kidding, and checking, did Maxima and Double X merge, or are they the same brand? I thought they were two different brands altogether??

Ja Nee, that is like a 3mm tungsten Elk Hair caddis Turbo jig dry fly

Hi, no, as I said, my Stillwater leader is a straight level leader with no taper, and using the same mono throughout. The open loop is very much a function of the rod and your technique, and not a function of the leader. For rivers when I fish my long French leader, it is tapered, but also with different diametes of the same brand mono from leader to flies. I go with the soft mono throughout. I don't like Ultragreen or Stroft, but that just a persona thing, been using Platinum plus for ever and I really like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    thanks for sharing Andre. i used to use maxima ultragreen for about two thirds of the tapered butt section followed by the hinge (has Joe Humphrey called it) of soft mono and the tippet also being soft. of late i have been using stroft in place of maxima and dont see much advantage except for strength and cost.
    for the wide open loops, does your constructed tapered leader have more thickness then drops drastically just before the tippet section?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hmmm... now you got me thinking. I will have a look at the label on the spool. I know that it is called Platinum Plus from Maxima... the double X... now not so sure. I have had these spools of mono for over 10 years and still nowhere near the end. I use them for all my leaders, stream, stillwaters, yellowfish...alles.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    I drive a Volvo Volkswagen Hilax Sport, suits all my needs perfectly. Just kidding, and checking, did Maxima and Double X merge, or are they the same brand? I thought they were two different brands altogether??

I use the double X plantinum plus quite a lot for leaders. The maxima for me is too thick diameter and too stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    I use the double X plantinum plus quite a lot for leaders. The maxima for me is too thick diameter and too stiff.
    hey Yella, i dont understand or put together why maxima is too thick, tapering a leader needs different thickness, are you referring to strength at thickness compared to other brands?
    i used maxima for my leaders from butt end to 2x or 3x (depending on formulae for a specific leader) and havent had any strength issues but more abrasion issues

Ben, Andre het weer 'n nagmerrie gehad toe kom post hy dit hier....:wink: Double X Platinum Plus is awesome ek koop gewoonlik die 600m spools vir 'n appel en 'n ei!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast