Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Who can afford a 10k fly rod?

Default Who can afford a 10k fly rod?

I see most of the top of line fly rods have hit the 10k mark.Its not surprising with the Rand plummeting to new lows.
    It looks like the 2nd hand market for me for top of line tackle or mid range from the top players.
    I feel for local businesses trying to sell rods at that cost.Cant be easy for anyone to operate under these circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormo_rant View Post
    I see most of the top of line fly rods have hit the 10k mark.Its not surprising with the Rand plummeting to new lows.
    It looks like the 2nd hand market for me for top of line tackle or mid range from the top players.
    I feel for local businesses trying to sell rods at that cost.Cant be easy for anyone to operate under these circumstances.
    Yeah the strength of the dollar is kind of screwing everyone at the moment with the world markets selling their equites and moving their money to safe heaven currencies like the dollar. I have never spent more than 6k on a rod. I usually build myself, or buy second hand. Those however are not the only options, I think sometimes that buyer top tier rods doesnt make the most sense. I am planning to go to Madagascar next year again, and I have a 9wt and 12wt TFO, which are solid rods, but I would like a back up. Of coarse a Sage would be amazing, but the price cannot justify the two weeks of use it will get. The Horizon 12wt for below 4k is a much better option. Xplorer makes great rods, they dont come with the pedigree, but they work really well. You can also purchase affordable blanks from mudhole which are fantastic for the price. Its all relative.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

The interesting thing about the top end brands, is that they still outsell the cheaper brands. Take Sage for instance, the Sage dealers run triops to Seychelles, South America and some other exotic locations, and for each client who goes, they buy a rod, sometimes more than one. There is a tier in the fly fishing market that will pay R100K for a trip, and another R30K for kit for the trip, without blinking, and that's the market that the high end rods are targeted to These are guys that don't have the time to spend the effort on shopping around to save a few rand. They pay the money , and buy the goods. Much of it is built on long standing relationships with the tackle dealers.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Yes i think those guys that spend 100k on a fly fishing trip dont blink at spending 30k on tackle.Makes sense.
    Isnt a split cane rod about 10k handmade by one of our top rod makers in SA? Id rather have one of those!

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The interesting thing about the top end brands, is that they still outsell the cheaper brands. Take Sage for instance, the Sage dealers run triops to Seychelles, South America and some other exotic locations, and for each client who goes, they buy a rod, sometimes more than one. There is a tier in the fly fishing market that will pay R100K for a trip, and another R30K for kit for the trip, without blinking, and that's the market that the high end rods are targeted to These are guys that don't have the time to spend the effort on shopping around to save a few rand. They pay the money , and buy the goods. Much of it is built on long standing relationships with the tackle dealers.
    Thats exactly why I am going to Madagascar instead - It will cost around 30 - 40k. So its about 30percent the price, for fishing that is about 60% if not more as good. That makes sense to me. I cannot justifying spending 100k on a trip. As much as I want to, its just not for me. I still get such a kick out of going to the Orange its crazy, and that costs me about R5k.

I guess I will be supporting explorer and stealth for the rest of my Life.

100K a trip is crazy, but looking at some of these destinations I guess there is an appeal, but sho....thats rough. I really hope anyone ever doing such a trip doesn't blank....
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli@84 View Post
    I guess I will be supporting explorer and stealth for the rest of my Life.

100K a trip is crazy, but looking at some of these destinations I guess there is an appeal, but sho....thats rough. I really hope anyone ever doing such a trip doesn't blank....
    Ha ha Yeah the appeal is what drives it. I mean, they cost that much for a reason, the fishing is par none. but for value, i reckon we are really lucky in ZA. We have yellows, tigers, great trout waters - and if you put in the hours, some decent salt (yes, nothing like Seychelles) and that all makes me pretty stoked.

I can see the appeal in doing DIY trips now

But I speak from jealousy and nothing else, and you are correct, we are blessed in this country with a nice variety.
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

Interestingly enough, several of the people that pay this R100K per trip, do it year after year, and don't think its crazy at all. I went on a tip once, and one of the clients flew in with his own private aircraft, and also paid for his pilot, whi didn't fish, but stayed at the lodge for the whole trip. There are people who have mega millions, and this kind of money is small change to them..
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Interestingly enough, several of the people that pay this R100K per trip, do it year after year, and don't think its crazy at all. I went on a tip once, and one of the clients flew in with his own private aircraft, and also paid for his pilot, whi didn't fish, but stayed at the lodge for the whole trip. There are people who have mega millions, and this kind of money is small change to them..
    Well when your yearly bonus is in the 6 figure mark, yeah it doesn't matter. Its chump-change. I am dead envious of the fishing, I would love to experience that one day, but I couldnt take that money away from say my childs education or my families financial security. Thats just me though, and I do respect guys who work ****ing hard, in order to go on these trips and have their dreams come true - its just not my dream.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast