Thread: Blakes Beach

Default Blakes Beach

Hiya.

So from next week I'll be calling Grabouw my new home town.

I've been doing a lot of searching for info on saltwater fly fishing close by. It seems that Blakes Beach in Strand is the closest productive area.

I read that leeries can be caught in the area and also some non-eds which is quite interesting.

Can anyone tell me how the fishing has been recently? The season is probably only starting around now...

Any tips will be welcome or any other suggestions of spots in the area where a bit of salt can be applied to fly line.

Regards

Regards,
    Leonardo

Quite a lot of info there.

Thank you!

I think that as far as saltwater goes around the Cape, Blakes is probably the best if not, the only option. We don't have estuaries within an acceptable distance for a couple of hours fishing, so options are limited. I think that Blakes is popular with a few people, not because it is really any good, but more because there is nothing else. Hermanus lagoon is an option perhaps, but I have never fished there.
    If you are moving to the Cape, please don't discount our world classs streams, and with the season opening imminently, you might just be able to get yourself converted to a troutie.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks Andre.

I'm very interested in the small streams. I've got another post running on that, where yourself and Korrie gave me good advice.

Just want to have the option of some salt action, but it looks like I'm going to have to trade the 9 and 12wts for 3wts.

hey hilros007, no need to trade the heavy weights, keep them. there will be times you'll visit the salt unless you have to many of them

Hi Hilros, there has been reports of Leeries coming into Blakes recently. I was there on Tuesday and some guy was doing snorkeling in the bay and advised that there are absolutely no fish around he only saw 2 Med size Elf. I will keep you posted in reports and activities. There is an awesome spot on the end of the reef that is great with a light south easter. November has been relatively cold so just wait until the water warms up then there will be lots of action. I have caught some nice size leeries on a supet light 6 weight rod...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk