Thread: Reel Seat Glue

Default Reel Seat Glue

Hi Guys,

I have a rod where the metal part of the reel seat has come unstuck from the wooden insert. To me it seems like a simple fix so i wanted to do it myself, but just dont know what type of glue i should be using and whether i should be watching out for anything tricky.

Could anyone help with putting me on the right track please?

Thanks
    G
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

epoxy.
    its difficult to say without seeing the "problem"
    if the reelseat is loose to the point you can pull it off the rod, you will get away with a gel type epoxy (epidermix 372)
    you can buy the smallest tubs and it wont be too expensive.
    if however, it just rotates on the rod, and it is not possible to pull it off, you going to need a runny epoxy. if that is the case, the price of the epoxy dont warrant the fix, especially if you have no other use for the epoxy. if that is the case, rather take it to a rod builder, and he can fix for you for a minimal price.
    catch and release

Thanks Paul - i can pull it off completely.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

in that case the epidermix 372 will work fine. just make sure you get the proportions right. its a 2 to 1 mix. i use plastic teaspoons, one flat and the other flat and scrape half out (hope that makes sense).
    mix it PROPERLY!!!
    cover with masking tape where you think it might get where you dont want it. if it does end up on unwanted places, wipe with your wifes nail varnish remover
    im sure the rest you can figure out.
    last note, rather stay away from quick set epoxies. it will probably do the job, but not as strong.
    if you going to do it, rather do it properly.
    good luck
    catch and release

Bring it in, I can help you
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    Bring it in, I can help you
    Awesome! Thanks Craig - i will bring it in next chance I get.

Any two pack from Pick n Pay or BW should work.

I use the Alcolin 2 syringe system. Works perfectly. So will Pratley etc. Remember you have limited working time and epoxy must be stirred thoroughly