Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lower Orange or Richtersveld Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    What will the water levels of the river be at that stage of the year?

Will the drought and the end of the long winter dry season have an impact or not really?
    If I may comment on this from my personal experience.... September is possibly the best time of year to fish the lower Orange, but I have also had terrible conditions there in September. It is impossible to predict water levels so far ahead, because flows are predominantly governed by the flows out of van der Kloof dam. However, September being just after winter which is a low rainfall time of year, there is a good chance that there wont be any out flows. Chances are, after all things considered, will be that the flows will be low.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

The lower Orange seems to be very stable for most of the year partially due to the large dams upstream regulating the flow kind of. I would not aim for Dec / Jan / Feb usually, due to heat and possibility of floods. But with the drought and generally low dam levels, I am not anticipating any serious white water. As long as the river is flowing below say 40 cumecs in that section, it's great. Ideal I'd say is probably 20-30 being better for getting over the shallow bits with a kayak.

Thanks Andre,
    One should able to predict closer to the time if you look at the dam levels.
    One of the bucket list destinations for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    R6k per person - medical fitness cert required, valid passport, own sleeping bag and fishing tackle.
    can you send your email address to me by PM please, I would like the details.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

The one thing that can mix it up (Water levels ) are the water released by Van Der Kloof for electricity generation. You can get batches of 200 cumecs coming thru.
    and at 200 cumecs it is not fishable
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    can you send your email address to me by PM please, I would like the details.
    Hi Andre I had a chat with the other guys and they actually don't recommend taking "members of the public" along on these things, meaning someone outside our group, which is an informal thing. We operate on a kitty type system where we all club together and the leftover funds get used towards future trips or a braai or whatever. It's been working very well thus far but in hindsight I should not have made it sound like I am advertising something. Apologies! Normally before a trip we would do a rough estimate on costs and decide who does what or is responsible for what gear. It's easy putting something like this together especially if you have visited the same place a few times before - there are some great adventures to be had without having to pay a fortune for guiding etc. Problem is as soon as you "charge" another person, you in effect become that "guide", and with it comes a whole lot of responsibility...

Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    Hi Andre I had a chat with the other guys and they actually don't recommend taking "members of the public" along on these things, meaning someone outside our group, which is an informal thing. We operate on a kitty type system where we all club together and the leftover funds get used towards future trips or a braai or whatever. It's been working very well thus far but in hindsight I should not have made it sound like I am advertising something. Apologies! Normally before a trip we would do a rough estimate on costs and decide who does what or is responsible for what gear. It's easy putting something like this together especially if you have visited the same place a few times before - there are some great adventures to be had without having to pay a fortune for guiding etc. Problem is as soon as you "charge" another person, you in effect become that "guide", and with it comes a whole lot of responsibility...
    Ok no worries. When you said R6k and all transport included, just bring a sleeping bag, it didnt sound like a rough estimate or a kitty system, it sounded like you were running a commercial trip, especially when you said a medical certificate was a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Ok no worries. When you said R6k and all transport included, just bring a sleeping bag, it didnt sound like a rough estimate or a kitty system, it sounded like you were running a commercial trip, especially when you said a medical certificate was a requirement.
    Ja to be honest, the medical was an after-thought (just had one done myself). Last thing you want on the river is a guy having a heart attack or something and then it's your baby to deal with it!

The CHEAPEST FULL MEDICAL YOU CAN GET????

pretend that you want life cover for R10 Million.
    The life insurance company sends you to the best doctors for the best full medical, all on their cost.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    The CHEAPEST FULL MEDICAL YOU CAN GET????

pretend that you want life cover for R10 Million.
    The life insurance company sends you to the best doctors for the best full medical, all on their cost.
    Never thought of it that way. Must remember that one

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast