Thread: odonates

Default odonates

Sometimes I struggle to distinguish the differences between the adult damsels and dragons, unless I can get a little more than seconds glance as it flies past. While they are very easy to tell apart in the nymphal stages, the adults are not always so easy to tell apart.
    this site has nice quick and easy list of obvious things to look for to quickly tell them apart.
    http://insects.about.com/od/identify...onordamsel.htm
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Sometimes I struggle to distinguish the differences between the adult damsels and dragons, unless I can get a little more than seconds glance as it flies past. While they are very easy to tell apart in the nymphal stages, the adults are not always so easy to tell apart.
    this site has nice quick and easy list of obvious things to look for to quickly tell them apart.
    http://insects.about.com/od/identify...onordamsel.htm
    It is pretty easy if you see them when they land. Dragons wings go out to the side, damsels wings fold backwards.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Interesting that the nymph damsel flies gills are attached to the end of its abdomen, giving it the appearance of a large tail. I didn't know that.....
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Yes I was always able to tell them apart at rest, but not so easy when they fly past.
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    It is pretty easy if you see them when they land. Dragons wings go out to the side, damsels wings fold backwards.

Dragon flies also taste saltier, while damsels a bit of like peanut butter but a bit more acidic . . .
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Jade
    While that may be true for most, it is not a hard and fast rule.

Andre, in general damselflies are much smaller with skinny abdomens.

There is great book by Warwick Tarboton that has just come out, will tell you everything you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Regards
    Craig

Apparently a lot of variation is sizes across both, which makes distiguish them them apart by size alone, unreliable
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    Jade
    While that may be true for most, it is not a hard and fast rule.

Andre, in general damselflies are much smaller with skinny abdomens.

There is great book by Warwick Tarboton that has just come out, will tell you everything you need to know.