Thread: Shire River, Malawi and Mozambique

Default Shire River, Malawi and Mozambique

Hi Fellow forumers
    Does any of you have any knowledge of the fishing in the Shire River in Malawi and Mozambique?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Many years ago, about 25, I fished the lower Shire, below the falls. Not with fly unfortunately. Its a lovely country. Got my first tigerfish there.
    Also try get to Zomba, for trout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Hi Fellow forumers
    Does any of you have any knowledge of the fishing in the Shire River in Malawi and Mozambique?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Korrie, I fished it in Mozam and Malawi, not a lot of tigers, but in certain times of the year there is some catches in Malawi below the falls. We were unsuccessful, a friend that lived in Blantyre for three years fished it regularly and the fishing was very slow. In Mozambique we caught a couple, but the locals nets the hell out of the river and the Zambezi at the confluence. You are welcome to call me for any info or contacts. In Malawi, there is some opportunities in Zomba, but the hatchery is closed and the trout very few and far in between. The other option is the Mulanji massive (probably your best bet in Malawi for trout).

PS: The place you would enjoy most in Malawi is a place called Mustang Sally's in Blantyre, the owner is an ex Welshman, Rob, quite an interesting place.