Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: An Emergency

You can use the same method on a Wulff style wing to split the hackle.
    one or 2 have mentioned the A symetrical form of the legs due the the rotation of the hackle.
    one way to counter this is to have 2 hackles and wind it in different directions.
    When split it is Symetrical

As for the name "An Emergency" well if you jumped out of an aeroplane and your parachute had a split in, it would be "AN EMERGENCY"
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I will post more photos of the more recent models I tied, plus some of the testing in the wash tub and glass of water "look at the bottom and side view"
    I have not tried this on the water, due to work pressure, but cannot wait to throw some of these to the trout.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Here's how i like to do it:

"So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Hook is Grip 14723BL - upside down it makes a lovely Aduly mayfly shape with head lifted up off water.

All you need to do is tie in a normal Katskill style hackle, and then you cut the bottom third off. Tie the rest Elk Hair caddis style and koki the dear hear head black and you have a lovely Adult Mayfly semi realistic fly.

Another very good technique to achieve the same thing is to use the Stacked Hackle technique. This also makes a fly with a beautiful profile on the surface.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I must say I like the effect. I am sure to use it. Thanks.
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

nice fly Gkieser, some more info please, with the hackle cut one third underneath to the thorax does the fly land most times up right (i would think one should cut it completly off - flush to the thorax) and have you ever tried using cdc for the wing instead of elk hair

thanks Korrie, nice post and will certainly try out this clever idea

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Hook is Grip 14723BL - upside down it makes a lovely Aduly mayfly shape with head lifted up off water.

All you need to do is tie in a normal Katskill style hackle, and then you cut the bottom third off. Tie the rest Elk Hair caddis style and koki the dear hear head black and you have a lovely Adult Mayfly semi realistic fly.

Another very good technique to achieve the same thing is to use the Stacked Hackle technique. This also makes a fly with a beautiful profile on the surface.
    Many years ago, I saw a very similar pattern, but without the hackle
    http://www.lurebg.com/FlyFishing/dry.../dry_flyes.htm
    (PS: a very good site, although very difficult to understand.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Many years ago, I saw a very similar pattern, but without the hackle
    http://www.lurebg.com/FlyFishing/dry.../dry_flyes.htm
    (PS: a very good site, although very difficult to understand.
    This link opens to all the dry flies, this is the one I refered to
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    nice fly Gkieser, some more info please, with the hackle cut one third underneath to the thorax does the fly land most times up right (i would think one should cut it completly off - flush to the thorax) and have you ever tried using cdc for the wing instead of elk hair
    Thanks dollar - i meant that 1 third of the entire circumference is cut, ie 120 degrees - so the hackle to the sides of the dear hair is like legs pushing out at an angle. This is something that i saw in a fly pattern that Kevin showed me called a Green Drake, where in that particular variation they also cut the underside of the hackle to make the fly sit lower on the water. It just made sense to me so i tried it with these hooks to try get a shape of a mayfly as it sits on the surface.

You could substitute the Dear hair for whatever you want - it's not fundamental to how the fly will sit on the water. I just like it because it is easy to tie into the fly, is nice and aerodynamic for casting, floats well and is very very visible (most NB for me - if i cant see it, it can be the best fly in the world and i aint gonna catch with it).

The fish do really like it too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast