Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Catch and release principals

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    I have a question and not an answer! What do you do if a fish takes the fly and it gets lodged far back in its throat,so far back its almost in its stomach? Do you A) Bite the line and let it die at a later stage B) Kill the fish and put it out its misery or C)Try get the fly out knowing that you will cause damage and most likely kill the fish!
    I must say, I have never had this happen to me on the dry, but have experienced it from time to time whilst fishing deep and slow in stillwaters. I recently killed a fish that had swallowed the fly right down, beyond forceps reach. Any sign of blood and I dispatch the fish.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

On the odd ocasion when the fish bleeds too much I kill it. I dont like dead fish drifting down stream.

Kill em all I say - and then eat them sushi

Not sure if this is the right place to bring this up.....but what the hell, seeing as its about Catch and Release, I'll dive right in!!!

Circle Hooks:

How many of y'all have ever fished with them, and if so, what have your experiences been?

I have been using them for a few years now, having discovered them in the Caribbean where we started using them for live baiting Tarpon, then on to botoom fishing and chunking for Tuna, to bonefish and Snook and pretty much everything esle.
    Now that was conventional fishing with baits, both live and dead, and they worked incredibly well, seeing as we were releasing most fish, a guaranteed scissors hook up was a great thing!
    We then progressed to fishing them on Artificials such as jigs, leadheads, spoons, swimming plugs and even surface pludgs, all to great effect.

Then of course it had to be tried with flies, and after seeing some top notch Tarpon Anglers ( I think it may even have been Billy Pate ) using circles for Tarpon, we followed suit with some success.

Now my question is this: Is anyone in this country using circle hooks to target Trout? I know the carp and Barble guys, much under the influence of Sean Mills have been using them as well as a few Yellowfish anglers.

Do circles have a place on our streams? Can they work in the dry fly format? Can they work in the nymph format?
    I know that when using stillwater patterns, and fishing deep with flies such as Boobies or even buzzers, which a fish can swallow really deeply, the Circle hooks trick of catching in the scissors can be an amazing benefit to the whole catch and release ideal......

Ok, so thats a long post, but I hope one that may bring me some answers on this subject which I find quite intriguing.

Thanks

Andre
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Does one get Circle hooks in small sizes - say between #16 and 20?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Does one get Circle hooks in small sizes - say between #16 and 20?

Funny you should ask Neil, I was actually going to call you and ask you as I thought you might know!!!
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

I've seen them in the shops but never in small sizes. M C did a nice write up on them on the old forum. "Fish" could probably clear this up

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    I've seen them in the shops but never in small sizes. M C did a nice write up on them on the old forum. "Fish" could probably clear this up
    what are circle hooks
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Round hooks

Not just small sizes, but do they make them on lightweight hooks, and also do they make them in any other finish than the shiny silver ones I have seen?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast