Thread: French leaders?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default French leaders?

Hi guys
    Ive done some czech nymphing and would like to try out the french method.A google search reveals a number of different french leader recipes.
    Id like to know what you guys use successfully on our streams/rivers and give me a basic construction.
    I realise the leaders are generally 18+ ft long and only the leader is cast through the guides.

Some advice pls?

18 feet is very short for a French leader if you are going to do Eropean style nymphing. I use my own recipes of 30 and 45 feet leaders, with a tippet section of about 6 to 10 feet, depending on the flies Im fishing.
    I have used the Rio factory built French leader to good effect.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Andre do the Rio leaders come in those lengths?I cant find a Rio french leader on their website...they only have a 11ft euro nymph leader?
    Where do you buy these leaders?

Sorry, could have been Airflo. They have a Euro nymphing line, which is very good, its very light, light enough to high stick the entire length, no streach, and very visible. They work with all suitable rods from 2wt to 6wt....The mono leaders are the same, and come in various lengths up to about 45 feet.
    Give Upstream a call, they have them.
    I need to ask what rod you will be fishing it with, they don't work very well with certain rod actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Andre do the Rio leaders come in those lengths?I cant find a Rio french leader on their website...they only have a 11ft euro nymph leader?
    Where do you buy these leaders?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Im a bit confused by what you have said.Are you saying airflo have the french leaders in the 30ft plus range?Who has the euro nymph line?Rio?Airflo?

They are from Airflo. The Euro nymphing line does exactly what the Euro nymphing leader does. You can either make your own long leaders out of mono, or you can buy a Euro nymphing line. I realise that the discussion about lines and leaders is confusing, but think of the Euro Nymphing Line as just another long leader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormo_rant View Post
    Im a bit confused by what you have said.Are you saying airflo have the french leaders in the 30ft plus range?Who has the euro nymph line?Rio?Airflo?

http://www.airflofishing.com/buy.cfm...5/no%20/119182

Here it is. You attach it directly to your backing. use it like a fly line, with the ability to lift it off the water with high sticking at distance.
    Step the tippet down with 3feet of 4 X, the 2 feet of 5X, and then anything from 2 feet to 6 feet of 6 or 7 X, and it will adequately handle two lightly weighted nymphs. If you are casting in a moderate breeze, then use the following tippet selection...2 feet of 4X, the 2 feet of 2 or 3 X, then as much 6 X as you think you may need.