Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 4-weight Stepchild?

I sized up my 4wt SP vs Horst's 4wt SP+ - The plus shoots a whole line with some heavy flies, maybe its my *** casting, but I struggle to get a full line with flies out. I do have a bad confession though, I have overweighted the line (5wt) so maybe I am not doing myself any favours.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Yes , you might have slowed the action down too much , the SP was always a little bit line dependant and unforgiving, but as a casting tool, was very nice. I think as a medium fast rod, was one of my favorites for casting.
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    I sized up my 4wt SP vs Horst's 4wt SP+ - The plus shoots a whole line with some heavy flies, maybe its my *** casting, but I struggle to get a full line with flies out. I do have a bad confession though, I have overweighted the line (5wt) so maybe I am not doing myself any favours.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yes , you might have slowed the action down too much , the SP was always a little bit line dependant and unforgiving, but as a casting tool, was very nice. I think as a medium fast rod, was one of my favorites for casting.
    Well, you have just convinced me to spend more money and purchase the right line for it. It does cast way too nicely to by overlined.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Most of my stillwater fishing is done with a hardy zenith 4wt 9ft.Such a superb rod...
    Fishing #8 weighted buggers and up.
    I have a friend in Montana...he reckons for 90% of the water there (which is tons) you need a 4wt & a 6wt.Interesting.

Have you tried this rod with a DI 5 with three flies, each weighted with 3mm tungsten beads, spaced a meter apart, on a 15 foot leader?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormo_rant View Post
    Most of my stillwater fishing is done with a hardy zenith 4wt 9ft.Such a superb rod...
    Fishing #8 weighted buggers and up.
    I have a friend in Montana...he reckons for 90% of the water there (which is tons) you need a 4wt & a 6wt.Interesting.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I recentry fished my 4wt Redington on the streams and fell in love with that rod all over again...great rod that
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The problem with 8X on a 4wt, especially a Jim Teeny, which, lets face it, isn't the most delicate stick in the weight class, is that someone without half an ounce of skill, is going to pop tippets on a half decent fish, so it probably isn't a good idea to advertise that its a normal easy thing for the rod.
    Ja look its not something I am comfortable with but it was never a problem when I did use 8x. It really doesn't take that much skill just consciously never allowing your rod to drop. If you keep your rod absolutely verticle its really not difficult to fish light tippets
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    If you keep your rod absolutely verticle its really not difficult to fish light tippets
    I think this is where the #4 is a valuable tool. Powerful enough for larger and heavier nymphs, wind, bigger fish, longer casts, but yet can protect lighter tippets as well, and generally just a good "compromise" between too light and too heavy.

I'm honestly surprised that many (as mentioned, over the last bit) people don't fish one.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Totally agree again. Look at it this way, most people who fish a 5 or 6 wt, in "general" fly fishing applications, only do so, because someone else told them that it is best for some arbitrary reason, and not because they have made any quality decision based on their own assessment of the fishing application, or conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I think this is where the #4 is a valuable tool. Powerful enough for larger and heavier nymphs, wind, bigger fish, longer casts, but yet can protect lighter tippets as well, and generally just a good "compromise" between too light and too heavy.

I'm honestly surprised that many (as mentioned, over the last bit) people don't fish one.

Is that your green rod????
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    I recentry fished my 4wt Redington on the streams and fell in love with that rod all over again...great rod that

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast