Thread: Fishing komatie river with 5wt?

Default Fishing komatie river with 5wt?

Howsit guys not to experienced fishing for tigers. Going to be going to Kruger next week and will be staying near the Crocodile bridge entrance.
    Looking to do a day trip fishing for some tigers in the komatie river and would prefer to fly fish rather than spinning.
    Am i looking for trouble with my 5wt or will it be able to handle most of the tigers I can expect to encounter?

I wouldn't even think of trying to fish for tigers with a 5wt, for many reasons....
    You wont have the power to cast the big flies, and if you are going to be using a wire trace, which I recommend, your problem will be compounded.
    A 5wt just doesn't have the power to strike and pull a tiger like it should be done, small tigers might be ok, but the inevitable larger one will present a major problem.
    Some very experienced people have done it, but they have skill and experience. You aren't experienced, so don't even think about it. Rather go and borrow an 8 wt for someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by occie View Post
    Howsit guys not to experienced fishing for tigers. Going to be going to Kruger next week and will be staying near the Crocodile bridge entrance.
    Looking to do a day trip fishing for some tigers in the komatie river and would prefer to fly fish rather than spinning.
    Am i looking for trouble with my 5wt or will it be able to handle most of the tigers I can expect to encounter?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks for the reply Andre.
    Maybe will take the spinning outfit along then and use the fly rod for some other species. Here there is some nice mudfish as well.

Yup, good idea, don't leave the 5wt rod at home, there are lots of other species to use it for.
    Quote Originally Posted by occie View Post
    Thanks for the reply Andre.
    Maybe will take the spinning outfit along then and use the fly rod for some other species. Here there is some nice mudfish as well.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

This was caught in the Pongola River on a 5 wt

image.jpg
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Haha seems like hes struggling a bit.
    Organised a 8wt from brother in law so all sorted.
    Will take the 5wt with for some other species or maybe the small ones.
    I hear the river is very low so have to see how it goes.