Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: I need new boots!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Bru just write Simms on one side, and Vision on the other.... then you mos double cool!!!

I have used them, not for a few years, but I did use them, on the streams and on the flats... IN fact my old man wore his pair on 2 x Seychelles trips, and he got probably the least wear and tear than everyone else who wore fancy boots ( myself included )....

I will admit to being a boots ( and tackle in general ) wh0re... and as I don't have children to feed, I have a couple pairs of Simms for both fresh and salt water exploits these days... and as much as I love them, I do have gripes about them all, as do most folks... The G3 Guide boots for example are magnificent... but there is no way I would spend that much money for a pair of boots ( I scored mine second hand barely used ).. And the genius folks at Simms have decided to discontinue the Riversheds, which were by far an away the best boots for our Cape Streams from the Simms stable in my opinion ( yes yes they are a little heavy before all you lot jump on me, but I still found them the best... I've had my pair for nearly 5 years, and I weigh 100 kg's plus, and they are still in decent knick)..

So the Simms and other top range boots will undoubtably be more comfortable for most folks with their extra padding etc... but the Security boots, especially with a set of the Simms wet wading socks, are surprisingly comfortable... these boots, while super simple, are designed and used by the military... okes running many miles through the k@kest conditions imaginable, wearing a 35 kilo pack on their back use them...

They are rubber soled, and unless they've changed their formula since I last wore them, were fantastic on the Cape streams... its a relatively soft "sticky" rubber which held well on the rocks... of course if you step on that snot slick stuff that some rocks seem to have, and I'm sure with the new poo fountain on the Smallblaar, there is more of now, they are not gonna be grippy, but very little will be...

Pienaar Brothers in Paarden eiland used to have them... but I just sent a message to a mate of mine who is big into the military side of things, asking where he got his versions more recently and will let you know... you might even be able to get a Camouflage version, so the troots won't even see your feet coming!
    Thanks Nepps, good read, I must say the Visions felt soled are very good and grip well, its just a shame they have split were they have the rest of the boot is in great nick, will have a look at the boots and go from there, I just looked on line and the boot from Simms are priced well but once I pay 40% import duty plus tax its just bleeds you dry, http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/foo...boot-felt.html
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Nick,

Spoke to my buddy, some good info here. There is a company called "Palladium" that make boots and footwear... they have a store in Canal Walk, upstairs... they basically made a name for themselves as being the boots of choice for the French Foreign Legion apparently according to my mate.... they have since become a pretty trendy fashion accessory too, but have retained their heritage and build quality... he swears by them..

They will be a great option between the Cheaper "Bova" Security boots which retail around R 300 or less, and the Simms in the R 3000 plus group with a price point of around R 1400 apparently...

My buddy Scott wears two different pairs, namely the BAGGY, which is a high version:
    http://www.palladiumboots.com/men/fo...gy-02353-069-m

and the PAMPA HI, which is a lower version:
    http://www.palladiumboots.com/men/fo...hi-02352-261-m

Available in a huge range of colours... he wears them for pretty much everything, not just fishing because they so comfy....

And available locally so you can be sure to get just the right size/fit...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Hi Nic,

If the uppers are still fine, have you thought about having new soles put on? I remember a few years back a lot of guys were doing this. Wish i knew where you could go to have it done, but i think it was Durasole in Chelsea Village that used to do it and i also heard about RockSole in Wale street.

It was a long time ago, but might be an economical solution for you if the uppers are still fine.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I just checked both their websites and both offer this service for fly fishing boots. How up to date their sites are i dont know, but you might want to give the a call.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Nick,

Spoke to my buddy, some good info here. There is a company called "Palladium" that make boots and footwear... they have a store in Canal Walk, upstairs... they basically made a name for themselves as being the boots of choice for the French Foreign Legion apparently according to my mate.... they have since become a pretty trendy fashion accessory too, but have retained their heritage and build quality... he swears by them..

They will be a great option between the Cheaper "Bova" Security boots which retail around R 300 or less, and the Simms in the R 3000 plus group with a price point of around R 1400 apparently...

My buddy Scott wears two different pairs, namely the BAGGY, which is a high version:

Available in a huge range of colours... he wears them for pretty much everything, not just fishing because they so comfy....

They unfortunately only have one pair 11 and one pair 12 in one color, if you want a specific color or design you are out of luck.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback... the boot grant has split in a strange place on both.. but I will definitely take them in and ask. . Nepps I will go and have a look during the week...thanks...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Good info guys, thanks for that. Nic, keep us posted as my brother also needs a new pair. Thanks
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Nick,

Neps
    I tried this canvas boots, REALLY comfortable.
    They even give a 5 year gaurantee on the soles.
    At R1400.00 a shit load of money for a pair of canvas boots, but I am hooked.
    Not to find the right color in my size.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I freakin dig those Nepps! And stuff the cool crew....

Nic

Rocksole no longer have the aquastealth rubber, and their gluing process wasnt too hot anyway.
    Felt is also problematic unless you want to use piano hammer felt, then you may as well buy new ones

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Hi Nic,

If the uppers are still fine, have you thought about having new soles put on? I remember a few years back a lot of guys were doing this. Wish i knew where you could go to have it done, but i think it was Durasole in Chelsea Village that used to do it and i also heard about RockSole in Wale street.

It was a long time ago, but might be an economical solution for you if the uppers are still fine.
    Regards
    Craig

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast