Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: I need new boots!!!

Nick I went to Rocksole a couple of weeks ago.

They don't have Vibram (think that is what is used on the Simms boots) rubber in stock, nor do they have felt available.

They did say that they were looking at getting a shipment of Vibram by December and that if you could source felt they would be able to fit same.

I like them too. Im a bit concerned about the stitching on the outside, which could fray and come apart, but apart from that, they look good. I have wasted too much money in the past on boots where the external stitching on the uppers has come apart as a result of scuffing against the rocks and gravel.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

The mountaineering shop near Cavendish are vibram dealers , depending on which type you want, there are various tread patterns and rubber compounds, for various application. Mostly they have the rock climbing types. I had my old Simms Freestones, re soled with Vibram hiking soles, and they were terrible, so be careful which ones you get. Not all soles made by Vibram, is suitable for fishing boots.Most rubber soled fishing boots use some or other Vibram product, as do hiking and climbing footwear manufacturers. I think Simms have a particular compound and tread design, manufactured specifically for them by Vibram. If it a sole made specifically for a footwear manufacturer, you might not be able to get it for re sole purposes unless you go directly to the footwear brand manufacturer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    Nick I went to Rocksole a couple of weeks ago.

They don't have Vibram (think that is what is used on the Simms boots) rubber in stock, nor do they have felt available.

They did say that they were looking at getting a shipment of Vibram by December and that if you could source felt they would be able to fit same.
    Last edited by Andre; 21-10-15 at 10:49 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    Nic

Rocksole no longer have the aquastealth rubber, and their gluing process wasnt too hot anyway.
    Felt is also problematic unless you want to use piano hammer felt, then you may as well buy new ones
    The material that they use under the industrial floor polishers works very well and cheaper than felt
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Laminate four industrial felt carpet tiles together, in a heat press, and use that. Lasted be two seasons, and worked brilliantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    The material that they use under the industrial floor polishers works very well and cheaper than felt

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Nick,

Spoke to my buddy, some good info here. There is a company called "Palladium" that make boots and footwear... they have a store in Canal Walk, upstairs... they basically made a name for themselves as being the boots of choice for the French Foreign Legion apparently according to my mate.... they have since become a pretty trendy fashion accessory too, but have retained their heritage and build quality... he swears by them..

They will be a great option between the Cheaper "Bova" Security boots which retail around R 300 or less, and the Simms in the R 3000 plus group with a price point of around R 1400 apparently...

My buddy Scott wears two different pairs, namely the BAGGY, which is a high version:
    http://www.palladiumboots.com/men/fo...gy-02353-069-m

and the PAMPA HI, which is a lower version:
    http://www.palladiumboots.com/men/fo...hi-02352-261-m

Available in a huge range of colours... he wears them for pretty much everything, not just fishing because they so comfy....

And available locally so you can be sure to get just the right size/fit...
    Hats off to this company. They took an old trustworthy item and made it better.
    I browsed through this site and I am very impressed, not only with the boots but even the slackers/sneakers.
    The diversity of this brand is ingenious.

These stood out for me with regards to boots for fishing
    http://www.palladiumboots.com/men/fo...pn-73234-007-m

They have others too that would definitely work as DKW's.....Dorp, kerk en werk.

I like the look of these sneakers...
    http://www.palladiumboots.com/men/fo...tw-03310-080-m
    Comes with extra orange laces for the sporty look.

I am also very impressed with what they have on offer for the woman in your life.

Thanks for sharing Dre because my boots can no longer be called boots, soles with laces is more accurate.

Nou waar koop mense die kerk skoene?

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Comes with extra orange laces for the sporty look.
    Don't use them on the Vaal - you will go home without laces!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Had my old Freestones done at Durasole in Wolf street in Wynberg 3 years ago and they are bulletproof, albeit a little heavy (comparable the Riversheds). They used used top quality glue, let it set for 4 days, and stitched the sole from the bottom.

Ha ha ha.....orange shoes......instant Oscar conversion...:biggrin:
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Don't use them on the Vaal - you will go home without laces!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast