Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: A pair of big boys

  1. Default A pair of big boys

    Finishing off a pair of fairly large nets that will be hand delivered to their owner at Highland Lodge on Friday. The opening/gape is 350mm wide by 490mm long, and the total net length is just a tad over 1200mm.





    DSC_2004(a).jpg

    DSC_2002(b).jpg
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town South Africa
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Those are absolutely beautiful Mario.... they'd make great Carp nets...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

    Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Those are absolutely beautiful Mario.... they'd make great Carp nets...
    an·tith·e·sis
    anˈtiTHəsəs/
    noun
    noun: antithesis; plural noun: antitheses
    a person or thing that is the direct opposite of someone or something else.
    "love is the antithesis of selfishness"
    synonyms: (complete) opposite, converse, contrary, reverse, inverse, obverse, other side of the coin; informalflip side
    "friends of the actress say she is quite the antithesis of her giddy and frivolous character"




    • a contrast or opposition between two things.
      "the antithesis between occult and rational mentalities"
      synonyms: (complete) opposite, converse, contrary, reverse, inverse, obverse, other side of the coin; informalflip side
      "friends of the actress say she is quite the antithesis of her giddy and frivolous character"




    • a figure of speech in which an opposition or contrast of ideas is expressed by parallelism of words that are the opposites of, or strongly contrasted with, each other, such as “hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all sins”


    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    an·tith·e·sis
    anˈtiTHəsəs/
    noun
    noun: antithesis; plural noun: antitheses
    a person or thing that is the direct opposite of someone or something else.
    "love is the antithesis of selfishness"
    synonyms: (complete) opposite, converse, contrary, reverse, inverse, obverse, other side of the coin; informalflip side
    "friends of the actress say she is quite the antithesis of her giddy and frivolous character"




    • a contrast or opposition between two things.
      "the antithesis between occult and rational mentalities"
      synonyms: (complete) opposite, converse, contrary, reverse, inverse, obverse, other side of the coin; informalflip side
      "friends of the actress say she is quite the antithesis of her giddy and frivolous character"




    • a figure of speech in which an opposition or contrast of ideas is expressed by parallelism of words that are the opposites of, or strongly contrasted with, each other, such as “hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all sins”


    OK
    lets see if there is another snide post about ENGLISH MASTER CLASSES???
    Last edited by Korrie; 21-10-15 at 04:43 PM.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town South Africa
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    an·tith·e·sis
    anˈtiTHəsəs/
    noun
    noun: antithesis; plural noun: antitheses
    a person or thing that is the direct opposite of someone or something else.
    "love is the antithesis of selfishness"
    synonyms: (complete) opposite, converse, contrary, reverse, inverse, obverse, other side of the coin; informalflip side
    "friends of the actress say she is quite the antithesis of her giddy and frivolous character"




    • a contrast or opposition between two things.
      "the antithesis between occult and rational mentalities"
      synonyms: (complete) opposite, converse, contrary, reverse, inverse, obverse, other side of the coin; informalflip side
      "friends of the actress say she is quite the antithesis of her giddy and frivolous character"




    • a figure of speech in which an opposition or contrast of ideas is expressed by parallelism of words that are the opposites of, or strongly contrasted with, each other, such as “hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all sins”



    Hahahaha, I knew that might draw a reaction!! :-)

    You've got to admit though, they would look pretty good with a slimy Goldbar sitting in them....

    Just kidding my friend,... they are absolutely beautiful, and I look forward to seeing some pics of them with BIG Troots in them!
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

    Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    OK
    lets see if there is another snide post about ENGLISH MASTER CLASSES???
    Skuus, het nog Koos se jas aangehad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Hahahaha, I knew that might draw a reaction!! :-)

    You've got to admit though, they would look pretty good with a slimy Goldbar sitting in them....

    Just kidding my friend,... they are absolutely beautiful, and I look forward to seeing some pics of them with BIG Troots in them!
    Hehehehe - I don't mind what goes into one of my nets, as long as the owner is happy with it I was just teasing you a little as well
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    3,574
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Skuus, het nog Koos se jas aangehad.



    Hehehehe - I don't mind what goes into one of my nets, as long as the owner is happy with it I was just teasing you a little as well
    MG

    What would did you use as it is exquisite (apologies if you did mention it), also, what is the wood in the background? I noticed the zig-zag grain, the colour looks just like an awesome peace of hardekool that I have at home which also has a zig-zag grain.
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    MG

    What would did you use as it is exquisite (apologies if you did mention it), also, what is the wood in the background? I noticed the zig-zag grain, the colour looks just like an awesome peace of hardekool that I have at home which also has a zig-zag grain.
    Howzit Jules - thanks for the kind words man. The nets are 100% Guajuvira, and both nets were made from 3 pieces of timber only. 1 plank was all light wood, the other 2 dark. 1 of the dark planks become strips and the other the 2 handles. The light plank also provided the wedge in the handles.

    The wood in the background is Wild Olive. I'm battling to find someone with a sawmill to cut them into usable pieces at the moment. They guy that usually helped me has moved and closed his saws in town :-(
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •