Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Bass Leader Formula please?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    61

    Default Bass Leader Formula please?

    Hi

    Does anyone have a bass leader formula I can use to make my own leaders and what would you recommend the tippet size to be? I'll probably be throwing poppers and clousers on a 5/6wt rod.

    thanks in advance

    Ryan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,399
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frogstar View Post
    Hi

    Does anyone have a bass leader formula I can use to make my own leaders and what would you recommend the tippet size to be? I'll probably be throwing poppers and clousers on a 5/6wt rod.

    thanks in advance

    Ryan
    Ha ha 9ft of straight 12lb mono?
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Lol, what so funny?

    you get those 'recipes' where you take a few different diameter monos and boil them then join them and stick your tippet on the end. Looking for those for bass.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,076

    Default

    For bass you do not want stretch, or as little as possible
    i.e. the bass guys on the Breede fish with 25pound fluoro on the spider wire etc.
    you are fishing right in the structure, so you need power to jerk the lure out, should you get stuck
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,399
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frogstar View Post
    Lol, what so funny?

    you get those 'recipes' where you take a few different diameter monos and boil them then join them and stick your tippet on the end. Looking for those for bass.
    For me its pretty funny because leader formulas are advanced for subtly and specific use, turn over small flies, fishing light tippets, etc - while bassing is more of a brute force thing - heavy flies, big flies, heavy leaders etc. I suppose you were looking for a sophisticated answer, but I think the simple answering like Korrie mentions is best.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    For me its pretty funny because leader formulas are advanced for subtly and specific use, turn over small flies, fishing light tippets, etc - while bassing is more of a brute force thing - heavy flies, big flies, heavy leaders etc. I suppose you were looking for a sophisticated answer, but I think the simple answering like Korrie mentions is best.
    You presume to much my friend. I wasn't looking for a sophisticated answer, my question is based on a lack of experience, but glad you had a chuckle. any thanks....I think

    Thanks Korrie for the constructive advice. Do you know more about that setup. how long the sections are?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    CApe Town
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Hi Ryan,

    One of Lefty Kreh old formulas that I have found usefull is the 50% formula(You can google it), which you simply adjust for according to length required.

    A 10 Ft 8 Pound Tippet would be constructed as follows : 5 Ft 30 Pound Butt Section, 2.5 Ft 20 Pound, 1.25 10 Pound, Then Tippet section to make up 10Ft. I use Grinner Knots which tend to be a bit bulky but I find they work well for me and I can tie them quickly and they retain strength quite well. I use Maxima Ultra Green which is pretty rock solid and affordable.

    I have tied these up and found them to cast nicely with a 5Wt Overlined with a 6Wt line. Biggest fly I have casted was a size 6 Fritz and Wooly Bugger. The only problem is the knots do pick up weed a bit.

    Bigger than size 6 I would consider straight mono/fluoro, maybe 2x/1x/0x as the weight of the fly does help turn over.

    For poppers I have found a 9Ft 0X Tapered leader works well on the 5Wt for my casting. The hook size was about size 2 - 4.

    I hope this can be of use.

    Cheers
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Thanks Uli@84, thats exactly what i was looking for. Appreciate it

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    CApe Town
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Pleasure man.

    Just one thing, when fishing straight Mono for Bass , just be aware of the breaking strain of you Flyline when you fish heavy mono, a snag could cause more damage than you want.
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uli@84 View Post
    Pleasure man.

    Just one thing, when fishing straight Mono for Bass , just be aware of the breaking strain of you Flyline when you fish heavy mono, a snag could cause more damage than you want.

    haha absolutely, glad i have a reddington with a lifetime warranty

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •