Thread: Carbontex drag washers in fly reels

Default Carbontex drag washers in fly reels

Hi guys

Quick question!

Has anyone ever replaced the cork drag washers with carbontex?

When targeting big salt water species 9wt to 15wt tackle, most reels come out with cork or stacked drag washers, but carbontex is in my opinion better in all facets --- Reason! it basically needs no maintenance and its smoother, cork burns up like toast when fighting a big trophy fish and it gets sticky, now you'll say oil it but Abel says its not necessary?

Any comments?

Default Replaced plastic washer

I have replaced a plastic drag washer in a friend's inexpensive fly reel with Carbontex washers. Essential to use drag grease with carbon washers.
    No experience with replacing cork drag though...

Very odd statement about cork burning up like toast.

I've had more than a few big trophy fish over the years that have pulled string faster than Yngwie Malmsteen ever could.
    Can't say I agree with you in the least about it burning up.

Having to maintain and keep clean - absolutely.......burning up.......nah!

Lots of "sealed" reels around that see salt water for the first time and are useless 6 months later.
    Just read some of the forums and you'll soon see.

I have replaced cork drags after absolute thrashings......usually after about 2 years, but have never seen one toasted.

Thanx for the replies guys

The info I have is not from experience but from forums, all the comments are basically devided either for cork drags or not, I have fished with carbontex drags a while now and never had issues, now that im buying a 12wt salt water reel I was just wondering why... its old tech ?

The best advantage of cork drag, is not all about the tension, but also the smoothness. aside form the fact that cork doesn't burn up, and also doesn't expand when it gets hot (cork is one of the best natural insulators against heat), which would alter the drag tension unless in critically abnormal circumstances and it has a very smooth start up. To me that's the main advantage of a good cork reel. Also bear in mind that not all reels use the same cork. some are better than others. to me.. smooth start up is more important than drag tension.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Carbontex is just as smooth in my opinion. I have been pulled 200m into my braid on my saltist in a blistering run by a duckbill and the feel of the drag did not change even slightly during that entire time. I really would love to compare cork and carbontex in the same fly reel. I really think it has been under explored by fly fishermen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The best advantage of cork drag, is not all about the tension, but also the smoothness. aside form the fact that cork doesn't burn up, and also doesn't expand when it gets hot (cork is one of the best natural insulators against heat), which would alter the drag tension unless in critically abnormal circumstances and it has a very smooth start up. To me that's the main advantage of a good cork reel. Also bear in mind that not all reels use the same cork. some are better than others. to me.. smooth start up is more important than drag tension.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Andre

With respect, my own experience with cork drag on powerful fish has been the polar opposite. I have had a Milkfish convert my cork drag reel from a smooth drag to a jerky drag and ultimately to a smoking, burn-out mess. (This was a known and respected brand btw, not a cheapy with a tiny drag area)

Stacked discs have worked far better, for me anyway, in similar situations.

On smaller fish, up to 9 wt, I have no problem using either and actually prefer my Abel to other reels that I own.

As far a smooth take up goes, stacked disc is easily the equal, if not better, than cork.

Cork is on it's way out, imo. Even Abel have started adopting the stacked disc design (not sure whether it's sealed or not)

Ya, I know that you have had problems with cork, I have never had such a fish big and powerful enough to do that, so its very difficult for me to comment. My biggest most powerful, boils down to a few half decent yellowtail off Cape Point, and a Abel super 10 cork drag reel, didn't even squeak at that... so my point of reference might not be adequate for me to have an opinion. I was commenting more on the merits of cork, than the demerits of carbontex
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Andre

With respect, my own experience with cork drag on powerful fish has been the polar opposite. I have had a Milkfish convert my cork drag reel from a smooth drag to a jerky drag and ultimately to a smoking, burn-out mess. (This was a known and respected brand btw, not a cheapy with a tiny drag area)

Stacked discs have worked far better, for me anyway, in similar situations.

On smaller fish, up to 9 wt, I have no problem using either and actually prefer my Abel to other reels that I own.

As far a smooth take up goes, stacked disc is easily the equal, if not better, than cork.

Cork is on it's way out, imo. Even Abel have started adopting the stacked disc design (not sure whether it's sealed or not)
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.