Thread: Fishing in the Western Cape trip info

Default Fishing in the Western Cape trip info

Hi guys
    Been fishing Kzn stillwaters & rivers for over 25 yrs now.I have always wanted to take a trip to the WC and fish those beautiful streams.
    Can you guys advise me where a good basecamp would be to make the adventure?
    Which rivers to fish?
    Costs etc etc
    I would be able to be there for approx 9 days in total.

If you like camping then trout hideaway is nice. Its right on the banks of the holsloot. http://www.trouthaven.co.za. Otherwise du kloof lodge is ok. Its well situated. It is right on the Smalblaar river. Trout hideaway would definitely be my first choice though. They probably have chalets too.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

What time of year are you thinking of doing this?
    The CPS rivers are in the Du Toits Kloof area near Rawsonville, with the Witte , in Bainskloof. The Olifants for clanwilliams in in the Porterville area, and Lakensvlie is near Ceres. So anywhere around Paarl, Wellington, could be good from a location point of view. It depends how much time you want to spend fishing those areas.
    Try not to limit yourself to the CPS rivers, while they are magnificent and the fish are plentiful, there are some other spots that you shouldn't miss while in the Cape.
    Camping at Trout hideaway is booked up for long in advance, but they do have some very good chalet accommodation.
    Last edited by Andre; 05-11-15 at 02:21 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Another good piece of advice, would be a temporary, membership to the CPS, or an "Out of town" membership. It might cost you less than paying the day rate every day for a week.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks guys
    Andre i would like to plan it for the best recommended fishing month of the year.I dont know what month/months that is for the wc streams.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormo_rant View Post
    Hi guys
    Been fishing Kzn stillwaters & rivers for over 25 yrs now.I have always wanted to take a trip to the WC and fish those beautiful streams.
    Can you guys advise me where a good basecamp would be to make the adventure?
    Which rivers to fish?
    Costs etc etc
    I would be able to be there for approx 9 days in total.
    Hi John,

As others have said, anywhere between Paarl and Rawsonville/Worcester will keep you in the area. You don't say what kind of accommodation you are looking for? Luxury, basic, camping?

I would fish a lower beat on the Smalblaar like Upper or Lower Molenaars, Smalblaar 1 or 2. I would also fish Smalblaar 6 for something quite different. Elandspad 3 or 4 to catch plenty of fish but predominantly small. Holsloot - any beat from 3-6 although this river is still recovering. Witte - a day or two on beats 3-6.

That gives you 6 days fishing out of 9. I am not sure how fit you are but the Cape rivers are typically more physical to fish compared to most of the Natal and NEC rivers. 6-9 days straight fishing would be pretty tiring unless you are quite fit. If you haven't been down here for some time then it's probably worth doing some touristy stuff as well like Table Mountain and the wine farms.

Cost is R195/day but cheaper if you buy a temp membership. You can find details on www.piscator.co.za

Best time of year would probably be mid Oct to mid Nov as that is when the flows have normally calmed down from winter highs and the fish are still pretty easy.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Good all round advice, but HOLSLOOT 6, you are wasting your time!
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Great advise thanks guys