Thread: 8- 9 Weight setup

Default 8- 9 Weight setup

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've last been here.
    I need some advise please.
    I'm looking at getting a new 8- 9 weight setup for freshwater and saltwater use. Does anyone have some experience with the Xplorer xpla 2 reel in saltwater paired with a Xplorer classic 2 rod? I've read some reviews saying that the xpla 2 reel will give problems in the salt. Is this true or will it be okay with good regular cleaning?

Any other suggestions on reels and rods will be much appreciated.

Thanks

I have only had good service from my Explorer products....however I have not used the reels for salt water applications. I would rather suggest spending more on a reel. The new reddington reels seem to getting good reviews and are well priced...what is ur budget?
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

If you interested in a 9wt Xi2, I can probably let you have one for about R4k
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

If you are just starting out then the Explorer rod and reel would work fine. All reels take a hammering in the salt, and that's the reason people will suggest spending as much on the reel as you can afford (and rather skimp on the rod).

There is another school of thought that my cousin employed for many years when he resided in Richards Bay, which was to buy a cheap ass new reel each season and basically fish it until failure. I think he barely rinsed them off after each session! I have a couple of cheapies that have been going for more than 5 years thru diligent washing and lubing after each use in the salt.

Provided the above reel is in good condition, the rod and reel should be fine for you to use until you decide that the salty bug has bitten, and its time for a second morgage in order to get a proper outfit/s!

Thanks for the advice. My budget is around R4000 for both rod and reel. I currently have a cheapy that I use in salt but it's starting to give problems, so I was hoping to get something that would last me a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodamvis View Post
    Thanks for the advice. My budget is around R4000 for both rod and reel. I currently have a cheapy that I use in salt but it's starting to give problems, so I was hoping to get something that would last me a little longer.
    I know Richard Simpkins is currently selling a TFO TiCR 8 weight I think for about R2, 750 on that second hand flyfishing page on facebook. Very fast rod, ideal for the salt and would handle a 9 weight line no problem. Would leave say R1500 if you knock him down a bit. There's also a System 2 8/9 reel with a spare spool going for about R1300 if its not sold on the same page, they have always been solid saltwater reels. Not the greatest drag system but bullet proof.