Thread: Ever fished this?

Default Ever fished this?

Has anyone ever fished this? And how would you consider them to fare? Good enough to tie and fish, or stick with more "common" emerger patterns?

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I fished them in England with mixed success. Think it was more my inexperience and lack of knowledge than the fly itself. Used it on the river to tempt a nice brown and on small stillwaters when the trout were feeding just below the surface. But in saying that have never tried it here. They just sitting in my stillwater dry box.
    If you work with monkeys you'll definitely slip on a banana peel!
    The way to a fly fisherman's heart is AlWAYS through his fly!!

Thanks Appin69

I'm also just thinking about if it is worth the effort? For me the major advantage would be that I could tie a really small fly and suspend it under a nice visible indicator without affecting the fly in any way. Hoping someone has some more feedback on this.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Why not simply fish the nymph on a very short, nymph on dropper, dry on point rig. probably boil down to the same thing.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Why not simply fish the nymph on a very short, nymph on dropper, dry on point rig. probably boil down to the same thing.
    Probably yes.

But, it's all about trying new things as well. I also just enjoy fishing a single fly to a specific fish. Bit more "to the point" if you could say so.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Yes I hear you. IF it is about tying a new fly and trying it out, then all good. I have also fished a nymph with an indicator tied very close into the tippet, so I suppose a small yarn indicator an inch or two up from the fly might also work, and will give a good idea as to how well the concept will work.
    I would much rather fish a nymph held just under the film, with the "leader to hand" technique, than to go with an indicator that is very close to the fly.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yes I hear you. IF it is about tying a new fly and trying it out, then all good. I have also fished a nymph with an indicator tied very close into the tippet, so I suppose a small yarn indicator an inch or two up from the fly might also work, and will give a good idea as to how well the concept will work.
    This is mostly for yellows on the Orange that are sipping in emergers. They act like big, lazy browns, and hang under the fly before sipping in it, or at times doing a sort of head-and-tail type rise - which is pretty weird to see a yellow do. They are not all that easy to hook, and refusals are common at the slightest sign of drag. Fishing an indicator close is (as you say) essentially the exact same thing as the Parasol - but I wonder if the Parasol does not give the tippet more chance to get under the film and not spook the fish as the method above (remember, drought and very low and clear water at the moment this side) where the tippet in ontop of the water behind the indicator?
    Mario Geldenhuys