Thread: Going Fibreglass - where to start?

Default Going Fibreglass - where to start?

I dont own a single glass fly rod.I know this is Mario's territory so i hope he will chime in.I have some questions i hope can be answered here.
    I would be looking at a 3 or 4wt stick for streams/rivers.
    Im looking for a good glass forum/forums as well as some nice websites to drool over?
    What is the price range of glass rods?
    Ive heard of "blue halo","swift","echo" but id like to know about the legendary sticks as well.I believe "kabuto" is one of them.
    Is glass more of a custom build rod than an off the shelf item to buy?

Thanks in advance...

Apparently Epic is the brand that is being raved about. Im sceptical about glass rods, but until I try it for myself, I am forced to reserve judgment. However there are too many highly respected anglers that have been totally converted, so there has to be something to it, even though they cant show me anything that is new or advanced, to make it any better than the old fibreglass rods. Re price, they aren't cheap.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Apparently Epic is the brand that is being raved about. Im sceptical about glass rods, but until I try it for myself, I am forced to reserve judgment. However there are too many highly respected anglers that have been totally converted, so there has to be something to it, even though they cant show me anything that is new or advanced, to make it any better than the old fibreglass rods. Re price, they aren't cheap.
    I wouldn't say they are not cheap - Yeah some are not cheap, being Epic or TMR, but Mario has a few really affordable blanks, and according to him, perform really well.

I believe it is a matter of personal taste, both on the performance and emotive side. I like slow rods, and glass suits this action, and I like the old-fashioned idea or glass, kind of the same with bamboo. I doubt they will ever perform better than a graphite rod with modern tech, but there is a romantic appeal that cant be ignored as the driving factor for purchasing a glass rod.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Jade what rods do you have in glass?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cormo_rant View Post
    Jade what rods do you have in glass?
    Ha ha well, actually only one - and its half a rod. I have a Tom Morgan 5wt blank sitting at home - but I am waiting to get back to ZA to build it.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

For the drooling part, check out Christian's work at http://finetackle.blogspot.co.za/

There is even a mention of Stephen Boshoff's unique real seat style
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Everything you need to know is right here:
    http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/index.php
    http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/index.php

Based on owning and fishing a pair of EPICs (5 & 8) I'd say that for 'traditional' fly fishing a good glass rod is about perfect. 'Traditional' here would exclude Czech/French styles where graphite is clearly the better material. It would include fishing inside 60' for the most part using trout-size flies. You can happily fish a 7X tippet on a 5wt glass rod if you need to and since the rod self-loads you can fish delicately and accurately at very short range, even with only a few feet of flyline out. Glass is very tough and if you like bright colours on your rods you have that option. It is impossible to explain but casting the EPIC 5wt is really fun in a way that the Sages, GLoomis, Scots or Orvii I have owned and used aren't. They were good or even great rods but none felt like the glass does. It just feels right...

The 8wt is a slightly different kettle of fish and I haven't quite made up my mind about it yet - which proves I think that I'm not a glass fascist. It's practical and I get 80-90' without any issues but it does have a high swing weight.

I think that once you get much above 6wt and 8'6" that you are squarely back in graphite's wheelhouse. One exception may be a short 'bass style' 7'10" like the Bandit 10wt which I'd love to try but don't need and can't justify.

9. Default

You have so many options - from custom to already built. Best is to put a day aside and check out http://thefiberglassmanifesto.com/ - it has almost everything on glass there.

High-end (price and performance) brands like Swift Epic and Kabuto (slightly slower than the Epics) are amazing tools. I recently completed a special Japanese rolled S2 rod for someone, and that is something special as well, though it came in a quite a price. The Kazutomo Ijuin rods are something I'd still like to try, especially the Yomogi! You can still get pretty good rods for far less, but you'll have to look around. I'll PM you during the day if you are interested in maybe building one yourself, I have some sites you can look at for slightly cheaper blanks than the Kabs, Ijuins and Epics.

That said, Derek Smith in Pta has a good stock of Kab and Epic blanks - so it might be worth giving him a call and getting prices.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Search for " Epic fast glass" on this forum.
    You will find lots of my posts , since I introduced my friend Carl McNeil's Epic Fast glass in South Africa few years ago .
    here is one of them , in a praise for #580 Salsa
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...pic+fast+glass

Derek Smith is from Randburg , and he usually always keeps few Epic blanks on stock .
    Last edited by Zoran; 25-11-15 at 02:14 PM.