Thread: Shilton CL2 sticky Drag

Default Shilton CL2 sticky Drag

HI Guys

I have noticed that the drag on my CL2 has gone a bit tough. On the lowest drag setting, you still require a lil bit of effort to pull line off.

I was fighting a spirited 1kg yellow on passed friday on 4x and the fish could not pull line of the reel easily. i was worried that the 4x was going to pop.

How can i fix this ?

Hi Reveck. You might have taken the reel apart for cleaning, and a component not reseated back properly, or something might have got into the mechanism. Have you opened it up to take a look?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I have had the same thing with my CL2s in the past. I tried to open up the drag system to look inside but i just made the problem worse so i would not recommend that. Not sure if it is an age or wear thing or maybe i had not taken enough care from preventing dust to get into the drag system, but had it on both my CL2s. No matter how i turned the drag knob, the drag did not reduce at the lowest level.

Maybe they need to go back to Shilton for a service if they provide something like that?
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I actually bought the reel second hand a few months ago so i have no idea if the previous owner opened it up before.
    it was actually fine until a few weeks ago when i first nocticed that the drag is quite strong on the lowest level. i try not to dunk the reel in the vaal but it does every so often. so not sure if the sealed drag is not that sealed any more

Had the same problem with a second hand shilton a few months ago. I stripped the reel and found rust patches on the drag discs. Cleaned the discs with some water paper and a good lube sorted the problem. The drag seems to be working properly now. Find the owners manual on the shilton website before stripping or you might make matters worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Reveck Hariram View Post
    I actually bought the reel second hand a few months ago so i have no idea if the previous owner opened it up before.
    it was actually fine until a few weeks ago when i first nocticed that the drag is quite strong on the lowest level. i try not to dunk the reel in the vaal but it does every so often. so not sure if the sealed drag is not that sealed any more
    Mine were both bought new, and i had never opened them and this problem started after they were a few years old, so i have a feeling that they are not so sealed from the start to be honest.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Hi guys,

From what I have read, the reels are both a few years old at least, and have not been serviced, we have also changed the drag material used, which definitely gives the reel superior wet and dry performance in the last few years.
    Please contact me on info@shiltonreels.com and we will get this issue sorted as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Chad

100% Right Chad - mine are pretty old (Bought the one when John and Tim still had their shop in Mowbray!)- thanks for the PM - have sent you a mail.