Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: KZN Garrick on fly - FLYFISHING magazine December issue

Default KZN Garrick on fly - FLYFISHING magazine December issue

I'd be interested in other forumites response to this article...

What I see:

1. Different shirts worn by the angler holding two garrick reportedly caught within minutes of each other on the same day
    2. A rod that looks like a 5wt and a matching cheapy graphite reel with flies that would be work to cast on a 10wt (5/0 Lead Ass Mullet!!)
    3. Flies in the fishes mouth that just don't look right
    4. A dead or nearly dead garrick which might have been caught earlier - definitely doesn't look just landed

Based on fishing a good number of spots in KZN I believe that getting a 700mm + garrick on the fly in the KZN surf would be an exceptional event given the beach/surf formations - getting 2 in succession would be nearly miraculous. I know this angler to be a competent lure fisherman - I've fished next to him at Winkelspruit a number of times but do not know him personally...

Sorry wrong forum - will moderator please move to SW section...

Quote Originally Posted by allsorts View Post
    I'd be interested in other forumites response to this article...

What I see:

1. Different shirts worn by the angler holding two garrick reportedly caught within minutes of each other on the same day
    2. A rod that looks like a 5wt and a matching cheapy graphite reel with flies that would be work to cast on a 10wt (5/0 Lead Ass Mullet!!)
    3. Flies in the fishes mouth that just don't look right
    4. A dead or nearly dead garrick which might have been caught earlier - definitely doesn't look just landed

Based on fishing a good number of spots in KZN I believe that getting a 700mm + garrick on the fly in the KZN surf would be an exceptional event given the beach/surf formations - getting 2 in succession would be nearly miraculous. I know this angler to be a competent lure fisherman - I've fished next to him at Winkelspruit a number of times but do not know him personally...
    Link to article?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Not online Mario - can only be seen in the paper magazine.

So if we cant see the paper magazine, we cant comment?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

It seems nothing can be hidden from you Andre .

Actually you are free to comment in general about ethics in fly fishing journalism, the potential negative impact of even nominal payments for magazine content, examples of questionable fly fishing articles or pics you have seen or even whether this sort of incident is worth talking about...

I can't comment on the article as I haven't read it yet. What I can say is that you have very little control over which of your pictures are chosen to be included with an article, this is up to the editor to decide. 99.9% of the time they get it right, occasionally they make a mistake. Perhaps the pics of the angler wearing different shirts were just better pics or better suited to the article. You can always contact the author or Sheena and ask your questions, sure they would be happy to respond.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

I did let Sheena know. You make a good point about photos and editing in general but I don't believe the apparent inconsistencies are primarily the result of editing in this case.

It looks like the same shirt to me, just different re-touching filter. Fly rod looks like it's got a fighting butt so prob not a 5wt. There's what looks like a deep channel right behind the guy in one of the pics, not a typical beach / surf situation. I reckon it's legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had some subsequent correspondence with Sheena about this and I must say her handling of this matter has been very professional, open and honest. There were some issues with captions and pics for this feature and she has undertaken to correct these in the next issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast