Thread: Whirlings disease?

Default Whirlings disease?

Chaps, in continuation of the thread on the old forum re the trout with shortened gill plates found on the upper Elandspad.

The official response (Grant can correct me) from Dean Impson was that he had spoken to some trout hatchery owners and was of the opinion that the few trout we found with shortened gill plates were hatchery escapees. Apparently hatchery trout are known to attack the gill plates of fellow fish, thus shortening them and giving the trout the appearance of whirlings disease.

Well, unfortunately, whilst fishing the Holsloot on Friday I caught two trout in the same run that had shortened gill plates- the one had one shortened plate that was more obvious than the other and the 2nd trout had two that were equally short.

The worrying factor is that the Holsloot does not have a hatchery and this could thus possibly be evidence of whirlings disease.

Just thought I would give a heads up re this worrying finding on the Holsloot.

Attached is a pic of one of the trout- unfortunately the quality sucks- I took the photo and then it slithered out of my hands back to freedom, while the second fish managed to do the same before I got a chance to take a picture. It nevertheless shows the exposed gill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thats looks bad, it looks worse than the ones I caught on the elandspad

We must keep an eye on this. The other tell tale signs of Whirling disease are not apparent yet, so hopefully it is not what we think it might be, but we need to be on the lookout for darkening of the tails and crooked spines. If any of those symptoms are detected, then we have a very serious problem on our hands!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper