Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flyboxes

For fly boxes that are wet, a good little trick is to open the boxes and put the boxes on your dashboard for the drive home.
    Probably the warmest/hottest place in the car with a bit of a draft/airflow to help the drying process.
    by the time you are home, fly boxes nice and dry.
    In winter, you can add the heater for some heat to dry the fly boxes and defrost your windscreen.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I once flew back from Jo Burg and when I got back, I couldn't open my fly boxes because of the altitude pressure they were stuck shut. I had to jimmy them open.. bizzare...anyone had this? I think it also happened after getting back from the Rhodes.
    Last edited by Andre; 10-12-15 at 09:29 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I once flew back from Jo Burg and when I got back, I couldn't open my fly boxes because of the altitude pressure they were stuck shut. I had to jimmy them open.. bizzare...anyone had this? I think it also happened after getting back from the Rhodes.
    I bet that in that state the boxes where waterproof?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yep had exactly that as well.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I hate singers so what I do is I use backing: Tie a small loop, big enough to go into my clip on the vest. The other end gets tied to the fly box. The length as long as you need to work with the fly box.
    This has the following drawback. The line gets twisted between fly boxes, so after 2or 3 outings I unclip them untangle and then they ready to go again.
    Just one more cast.......... make it count ...........

I like Explorer Fly box with slots. Not sure what series. The ones you get in green or black, with single clip on the side metal pin as hinge. Thin rubber feet running in from the corners.
    What I do is I remove the rubber seal that is on one side. Then apply a thin layer of clear silicon in the groove where rubber was removed, then lightly place the rubber back in its original place with the silicon below the rubber seal. Wait for it to dry and then you can close the box.
    What this does it seals the box more than before due to the slight raise in the rubber seal.

I happened to do this due to a seal that kept coming loose. I found this to seal the box far better than before.
    Just one more cast.......... make it count ...........

hey gents, took the plunge into the kitchen sink. chose two xplorer boxes, one green (+-110x75) and one black (+-130x85) and held for one minute under in +- 150mm water. only saw three air bubbles raise when i pushed them to the bottom also noticed a few air bubbles here and there mainly around the seam and hinge. these a shook off and then turned the boxes up side down. when the minute was up i removed the boxes from the water and shooked them from excess water and blew air around the seal and dried with a cloth. opened them up and saw no water, only water i saw were tiny droplets on the seal. maybe i'm lucky maybe someone could give a go and report back.
    the only problem/defect i saw was on the black box, the seal on the hinge side has an depression from the oppsite lid's lip but still held the water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2