Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flyboxes

Default Flyboxes

What is your preferred flybox these days and why? Obviously features like being waterproof, being able to clip onto your vest/pack,etc is essential but what other improvements have you seen ito of box design if any? Im talking about nymph/dry fly boxes here.

I'm using Predator boxes at the moment which are nice but they aren't waterproof. :wink:

i use the xplorer deluxe waterproof boxes, both for nymphs and dries (the one with compartments for dries, hate for my dries to be crimpted or folded)
    they have never let me down especially when, by mistake the box falls onto the water, they float high.
    http://www.xplorerflyfishing.co.za/p...oof-fly-boxes/

So i have just bought some tacky boxes and really like them but they have none of the criteria you are looking for!

Waterproof box? I am yet to find one (all the way from C&F down - tried lots!), so the reason i bought the tacky boxes, is because i thought "Well if my flies are going to get wet no matter what happens when i get dunked, i might as well do the next best thing and ensure that when they do get wet, there is no residual water lying around to rust the hooks - so i am trying the Tacky boxes to see how that goes.

It is still a new thing - only been on a few outings, so impossible to say if it is hype or not, but as far as holding ability and neatness goes they are brilliant for nymphs and i also have one of the bigger streamer boxes which holds stillwater flies very nicely. They are nice and compact and i can fit about 6 of them into the 2 main pockets of my fishpond tech pack (3 in each - 1 streamer one which is fatter and two standard ones). That is a lot of flies! Nice and simple and elegant - also the clear lid is a bonus.

Prior to this i was using the Olive green Xplorer boxes that were ripoffs of the Flambeu ones in the states with the lines of slitted foam - also very very nice fly boxes and have everything on your list except waterproof. They take up much more space than the tackys (i fit 2 in my vest) but each is double sided as opposed to the tackys being single sided, but still not as many flies can be held as the tackys can. These are also indestructible - very rare for an explorer product - watch them discontinue it soon if not already:tongue:

Dry fly - i still use my old C&F half slit foam half compartment - not waterproof (no matter what they say - it was when new, but not any more), but with the flies in compartments, they can be left open to dry flies if the box takes a dunk.

wrt wet flies, they go on a fly patch till try - this discipline has lead to much fewer rusting flies by placing big wet fritzes back in the box for the whole box to dampen.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    i use the xplorer deluxe waterproof boxes, both for nymphs and dries (the one with compartments for dries, hate for my dries to be crimpted or folded)
    they have never let me down especially when, by mistake the box falls onto the water, they float high.
    http://www.xplorerflyfishing.co.za/p...oof-fly-boxes/
    Yes those are the ones i was referring to - very nice boxes but they are not waterproof.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

i have had a few dunks in big rivers, mostly in the vaal, but always have recovered quickly, maybe one of the reasons i havent notice any water in them. other fishing is held in streams and havent dropped in further than my waist line. but i hear you and thank you Gkieser and will keep an eye on those waterproof xplorers because i wouldnt want to be surprised with rust on my collection of flies.:wink:

In my opinion, there are no waterproof boxes. I have dropped quite a few in water and most will take on some moisture, and often get water logged, even with an apparent waterproof rubber ring. Best is to attach the box to your vest with a zinger, so you can still have access, pull it out, but when it drops it wouldn't fall and drift. With regards to dry fly compartment boxes/pop up window, when there is a gusty wind you can loose many flies in an instant, wooofff and half a dozen are gone - good to create your own hatch

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    so the reason i bought the tacky boxes, is because i thought "Well if my flies are going to get wet no matter what happens when i get dunked, i might as well do the next best thing and ensure that when they do get wet, there is no residual water lying around to rust the hooks - so i am trying the Tacky boxes to see how that goes.
    My hooks rusted. I supported the original kickstarter and got an early box. Fantastic box and I love it, but I suspected that the one problem might be water getting trapped under/around the silicone and it seems like that's just what happened. Still the best practice IMO to open that box and let it air between sessions. I cannot say if the water is any worse than with a normal foam pad.

Your empty hook boxes i.e Grip hooks makes cute boxes too!

The Thinkfish FlyPad system is quite nice imho. Also not 100% waterproof, and really not made for largie flies () but they are great. Wrt to hooks rusting. I have taken to the habit of chucking some of those sillica gel packets (you find them in most anything these days) if I suspect my box got some moisture. Chuck em in, leave till you go fish again.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

The think fish system isn't waterproof, neither is the C&F "waterproof fly box" . If they get submerged, water still gets in, and a lot of the problems with rust, comes from putting waterlogged flies back into a box with dry flies. It creates a micro humidity environment, and the dry flies attract the moisture, so even if you fly box doesn't take a dunking, there is still a risk.
    best for me, is to leave the box open to dry out after fishing. Sale water flies, especially the good ones, I usually rinse under the tap and then allow them to dry.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast