Thread: Help Please ( From Scotland )

Default Help Please ( From Scotland )

Dear All,

Id love to receive some advice please for our forthcoming trip into Durban 02/2 and out again 05/03 with a view to visiting Drakensberg region, and after fishing fix, maybe the coast towards St Lucia ? Im coming over with the "burd" (wife) and have enjoyed two trips to NZ and a fairly disasterous one in Chlie, because we never book accomm which is my fault because Id be happy to camp out under the stars close to any water. That of course isnt going down well with our next trip so Id be so happy to receive some reccommendations please. We hear "scare" stories hear in the UK about SA independant travel, yet I see organisations like http://www.uhtfc.co.za/ and accommodations etc or towns like Himeville where I know all will be okay, but give the burd the thought of sitting in a lakeside lodge on her own whilst Im tramping about for 4 or 5 hours and we are a little at odds with each other.

Normally I like to wet wade on streams ( ie no waders ) with light fly gear and like lakeside accommodation settings so as to catch any (am) / (pm) activity. Undoubtedly wild fishing is best for me but given the apprehension of my truelove I thought some fellow forum members could help us with a few options to " book ahead " that would give both of the opportunity to sample the regions that are so often talked about on this great forum. Im happy to join any local angling association or whatever would help put some Rand into the sport.

Best Wishes
    Graham and Edna

You have a moth some you can do some quite extensive fishing, if you would like to focus on rivers (just be aware we are in the worst drought in 20 years) and also be close to the mountains then focus on the KZW wildlife reserves (most have accommodation in chalets).

Starting in the south i would so something like:

1. Stay a couple of days in Underberg (somewhere like lake naverone) fish the water on their property and UHTF waters in the vicinity (umzimkhulu river and tributaries)
    2. Head north to Kamberg Nature Reserve for a few days, stay in their chalets and fish the mooi in the reserver and surrounding properties (kamberg.co.za & www.thendelaflyfishing.co.za etc)
    3. Head further north to Giants Castle Nature reserve, stay in their chalets (also a restaurant there), and fish the Bushmans river in the reserve.
    4. Head further north to Injisuthi, stay in their chalets (note self catering only) and fish injiuthi river.

accommodation can be booked at KZN wildlife:

https://bookings.kznwildlife.com/

Some info on the fishing and other accommodation in these areas on Nightjar travel:

http://www.nightjartravel.com/fly-fishing
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Hi Graham,

In the Underberg/Himeville area, you could try Amazian Mountain Lodge. It is situated on the banks of the Umzimkulu River (Rainbow Trout) and is maybe 30 minutes drive from the centre of Underberg (Himeville maybe 10 minutes more) so you will be very close to the UHTF waters too.

When we were there in 2010 for my honeymoon i did not fish much but i did see enough to see they have some lovely trout water in very easy walking distance.

For South Africans this would be considered luxury and expensive, but without knowing your situation, your pounds may make it affordable, and it would definitely please the Burd. The food is amazing and accomodation luxurious. I believe there are things like spa treatments available but that sort of stuff i know nothing about (best massage i got was sitting down in a river facing downstream and lean backwards!)

The only problem you may find, is that they are currently experiencing a terrible terrible drought, and my brother in law (who farms outside underberg) sent photos of how low some of the rivers are. They have had some rain since, but it is quite dire, so if they dont get more the fishing might not be very good in the rivers.

If you would like to do some good Stillwater fishing i can recommend Banchory Lodge - it is a bit further to drive (about 45 minutes drive past Underberg in the direction of Swartberg). Accomodation is a simple cottage (self catering) on the banks of the dam and no spa treatments, but the fishing is usually very good and you can catch very large rainbow trout here (I have heard of 5kg trout being caught in the past).
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Hi Graham...
    If you have a month, you should think about hopping on a plane to the Cape, for a few days of stream fishing down this side. Im sure we could fix you up with a place to stay for a few days, so no need to worry about arranging accommodation.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

welcome Graham and Edna,
    i'm so happy you guys chose South Africa for a holiday, best place in the world. just be warmed, you'll never want to return to Scotland.
    my suggestion is to make full use of the local guides for all your needs and plan your holiday so that you can visit South Africa as a whole, if it need be add another week, it will do you a world of good
    kind regards
    rui

I am utterly greatful for this information, thanks so much, our plans are a little more clearer.
    Best Wishes
    Graham

Sterkfontein Dam is also in the Drakensberg and has world class sight fishing on dry for the local Yellowfish. This is a truly unique SA experience for that species. Definitely add that to the list.

There are many accommodation options available but suggest you go search on Dennis de Klerk or Dave Weaver. They can help put a package together for you that shouldnt break the bank with the Rand taking such a hammering recently.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Thanks , another for the trip.
    Not sure whether the welcome rains will have helped the rives enough though ?
    Any weather updates for the region
    Cheers from Scotland