Thread: 7wt advice and a swop option

Default 7wt advice and a swop option

Hi Guys

This is a complex question and a potential swop option.

I have a new (used twice only) Orvis Access 5WT 9ft.* It's a warranty replacement rod I got last year.

I only use my 10ft 5wt Infinity on the Vaal so have no use for a 9ft 5wt. Unless someone can convince me that I should keep it and why.

I also have a 6wt TFO Jim Teeny that I've been using for still water carp at my local dam and I
    have a 9wt for a tigers/cats and light salt.*

So now I'm going to do some LM fishing with Gerrit in April and therefore need a 7wt. It's not essential but this is a good excuse to add a 7 to my tackle list 😆
    I can also use the 7 for Carp and Barbel but it seems to be the ideal LM size and as I've never tried LM fushing before and I'm sure I'll love it, so will probably need a 7wt going forward anyway.

So I'm thinking a swop the 5wt Orvis for a 9ft 7wt if that makes sense.
    I also have a spare Explorer STX 5-7 that we can add to the mix as part of the swop. It's loaded with backing and pretty much brand new Super Dry Airflow 5wt WF line.

I guess the whole set is worth around R5500 new I think. As both have only been used twice they pretty much are.

So questions:

1. Does getting rid of the 5wt 9ft makes sense as I have a 10ft anyway?
    2. What would a good 7wt rod swop be?
    3. If they want the reel and line aswell then what would be a good setup swop?
    4. Does anyone have a 7wt OR 7wt setup that they think is a good equivalent as a swop.

Thanks
    Grant

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

I fish a 10ft 5wt on the Vaal, Sterkies, Lillydale, etc. with no issues. A 9ft is always useful as another option but if its a case of using one to supplement the purchase of another you can live with just a 10ft.

I have the TFO BVK in 7wt and use this for Largie casting (not much fishing going on here... :wink: ) and for Tigers. Best value for money rod around in the medium price point category i.e. between Xplorer/Stealth and Sage/G Loomis.

Rather try sell the setup as a whole and then use the cash. Gives you more potions and flexibility.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

I have an 8wt TFO BVK for sale, if you would be interested in an 8wt - http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...t-8wt-For-Sale
    Gooi vere... <")))><

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Thanks for the advice and link. The rod is already sold.

Interestingly he thought I was crazy selling the access as it's a great rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Hennie View Post
    I have an 8wt TFO BVK for sale, if you would be interested in an 8wt - http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...t-8wt-For-Sale
    Thanks Hennie but I have a 9 already so want a 7 to fill the gape between the 5 and 9.

Think I might just get rid of my Jim Teeny TFO 6wt and the reel and use that to swop or to raise some cash for a 7.

Decissions Decissions.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk