Thread: Circle of life

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Circle of life

I've created another simple pattern for Largemouth Yellowfish and it's called "Circle of life" Tied with Hare's Zonker only! It's tied on a circle hook and imitates/suggests a few things and hence the name of the fly.

You can fish it dead drift as it's pre-decesser but you can also now incorporate a few twitches in your drift if you don't get any bites. It has the profile / sillhouette of a freshwater Shrimp but also that of a Mosquito fish and other small baitfish. It looks very natural as you can see from the pics below, almost identical to that of a peeler Crab without the shell. It can also be argued that this fly suggests the larval stage of Damsels & Dragons!

My point is it suggests food and when fished correctly it's going to produce some beast fish I guarantee it watch this space!

Note: A circle hook is a better option for this type of fly and where it is going to be fished. A lot of times fish would run you around a log or tree in the water and just be stuck. By fishing a barbless J-hook you always have the risk of a fish pulling the hook by just moving it's head once you're stuck. Now at least you have better odds. I've lost fish already but nowhere near as many as before. Not on this fly but with another....

Hook: Gamakatsu Octopus #1.
    Thread: Nanosilk 12/0 white.
    Eyes: Silver bead chain. (Not to heavy)
    Hot sport at bend: 70 Denier Hot Orange.
    Tail: Natural Hare’s fur
    Body / Legs / Peelers: Natural Hare’s fur.
    Weedguard: 57lb Mono.
    Hot thread head: 70 Denier Hot Orange.

GERR6138.jpg GERR6139.jpg GERR6142.jpg GERR6143.jpg GERR6146.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 11-01-16 at 01:04 PM.