Thread: swiss saltwater newbie needs help...

Default swiss saltwater newbie needs help...

hi there.

i'm from switzerland and since i've a girlfriend with south african blood, i'm a constant visitor of sa (for more than ten years now). our base camp is in simon's town.
    this time i'll be able to stay a bit longer than usual. That means from monday on, i'll be able to enjoy the south-african sun and your lekker food - love it! - for 5 weeks!

at home i usually fish dry-flies for brownies (probably 90% of all my fishing) and graylings, sometimes pike, and my newest challenge walleye (not successful so far...).
    my to-go-set-up is a 5-wt rod...so onshore saltwater-flyfishing is a complete new world for me!

that's why i need some help! can someone recommend some good spots nearby? what fish should i target on? (mullets, elfs...?). And how (tactics, times, tides....)?
    are there saltwater-species you can stalk with a dry-fly (f.e. mullet)?
    my weapons are a 6wt-outfit with floating and slow sink-tip lines and a 8wt-outfit with intermediate and fast sinking lines.

appreciate any tips and hints.
    thanks
    best marc

I have not fished in the Western Cape for several years, but your closes options from Simonstown are:

1. Zandvlie (Muzenberg) - lagoon as some leervis, but you really have to know the place to connect with them (maybe one of the locals will see this and PM you)
    2. Blakes Beach (Gordons bay) - this is sort of extreme fly fishing in that for best results you need to wade out onto the reef (potentially involves some swimming)

If you search the forum you will find a ton of info on the above two places, and PM the posters they will probably assist / take you out of they can?

However, for the best slat water fishing i would drive out the the Breed River mouth a witsand, maybe 2.4 hour drive. The fishing for leervis and kob is generally excellent this time of year (one again, if you search the forum for "witsand" you will find a ton of info).
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Michael is bag-on! Marc please PM me and I'll show where to go and what to do - I live in Lakeside which is close to Simon's Town and Zandvlei. I might even go with you. Your 8wt + intermediate will be fine.

Hi
    We have very good stream fishing as well, will take you for a day on the streams
    A bit low this time of the year.
    But if you feel like a bit of stream fishing, let me know, I have wading boots, light rods etc that I lend to you.
    If interested let me know
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

There is decent fish in Simonstown - no need to drive around! If you can get access to a kayak or a small boat, you can target the mackerel in the bay which has been plentiful lately. also horse mackerel around. There has been yellowtail around as well, you can target them along the backline off long beach and along the harbour walls (just outside the navy facility)

wow! thanks to all for your replies and imputs!

think i'll follow my intuitions and fish right in front of may housedoor...shouldn't be to bad when i read wills comment...

i have 2 more questions:

where can i buy a license? postoffice?

what about safety? a local friend told me that it is not a good idea to go alone at beaches (like zandvlie f. e.) early in the morning or late evening/ nighttime...). what do you think?

@ korrie: thanks for your offer, but i'm primarely interestet in saltwater. trouts, barbels and carp we have at home too... wanna feel the power of a fish trained by the wild ocean 😉

@will: thanks, that's what i wanted to hear! any chance from shore?

what about flies? had only a short time before my departure to tie flies. result: a few bread flies for mullets ans some bucktail-clousers in charteuse-white (approx 5-8cm).
    further i have some trout and pike streamers and some nymphs....

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I see these people don't want to help you

rent a kayak and cruise around between the anchored yachts etc, depending on how comfortable you are on the sea. if you fish a small clouser or charlie on a sinking line up to around 10m water depth, you will definitely catch something. if you get visited by a really big fish don't panic they are just curious, although I would not try and swim with them. There are often people anchored off the entrance to the navy basin catching squid and mackerel, I would target that area. There are some scattered reefs inshore off the beach - look on google earth and you will see them.

For the Salt , I am using #6,8,9 and 12 weights(talking about Indian Ocean side of SA )
    If have to choose one, I will go for #8 weight (in my case it is Epic Fast Glass #888) ,which can cover almost all of SWF situations.
    -Line- intermediate in the surf (floating never worked for me in the waves) ,sinking for deep sea .
    -Reel - serious SWF reel, with minimum 150 200 m of backing,you never know .
    -Casting - you have to be able to cast plus 25 meters in the wind with easy (mean 30 meters on the lawn without wind ) with sharp loops to fight the very same wind . Loose casting skills will kill your enthusiasm for fishing Salt .Proper casting will catch fish .
    Beware of developing Tennis Elbow .
    (That's happened to me , when switched from "pussy" #5 weight to #9 and #12 weight , I almost destroyed my wrist and elbow)
    -Stripping -that crazy, fast , exorcising Salt stripping was absolutely new thing for me .
    (btw, thanks to Pick and Pay for the red basket )
    It also must be learned properly , there is no success without proper stripping ,even if you can cast 30 meters each cast .

Where and how to fish,which flies ? Find local guys ,they know the best . Without their specific knowledge , it will be hard ....

That was my general experience , hope it may help you.
    Tight lines !
    Zoran
    Last edited by Zoran; 27-02-16 at 12:48 AM.

hi there
    thanks for your posts.
    @will: it's definitly tempting, but as i come from a country with no sea, the idea of drifting alone on a small kayak produces some uncomfy feelings in my stomach😉 (and my girlfriend was flippin when i told her about renting a kayak for fishin!).
    actually i hoped to get more specific infos about fishing from shore. i read about mullets on breadflies, grunters on crabs, buggers and even surface flies, about horse makerel, leerfish, elf, kob... all catched from shore, and often (probably mainly mullet and grunters) sightfishin. i know that this kind of flyfishing is mainly in estuaries, certain probably also at night.... anyway, when i try to translate my freshwater-knowledge, i guess there should be also other biotops/spots along the coast where i get a chance from shore. checked already millers point - there just left some harpoon fishermen when i arrived... means also chances to get a fish on fly?!
    then i checked smitsbay - really promising place (in the eyes of a ignorant greenhorn), water was cookin, but just 200 meters to far out....
    anyway, will give it a try on my own and play some "lottery". probably will do also a trip to hermanus or maybe spend some bucks on a local guide...

let you know about my experieces. thanks so long.

@zoran:
    thanks for your hardware-tips. think my i equipment should work fine. my casting-skills could be better (but that's always the case, i think &#128521. about stripping: always fast stripping (doublehanded?)? i read that for species like elf, grunter, kob, mullet, makerel etc mediumfast, for some even slow to deaddrift is best...? you strip always/mostly fast?

cheers
    marc

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Hi Marc ,
    Stripping should maintain tension betweeh fly and rod/hands on the first place, meaning no -slack. You must feel the line ,the line must be stretched.
    No drag free tricks from our Europian Rivers here .
    Doublehanded stripping for fast fish as Kingies's (GT) and slow ,one hand stripping for Kob .
    Those are two extremes.
    All the rest of the fish -anything between, with changing the retrieve speed ,giving the life to the fly ,etc ...but still - tension!
    Of course, on the first place is what prey is imitated with our fly ....
    I am sure some expert will come and tell you more in details.
    Last edited by Zoran; 27-02-16 at 06:06 PM.