Thread: reel servicing

Default reel servicing

servicing your fly reels, which is prefered oil or grease?
    i thought the best would be to use corrosion x on all metal surfaces and for the drag washers, yamaha grease or kingfisher drag grease. i would use cal's but have no idea where to find some.

Guys on the classic reel forum swear by this, http://www.tackledirect.com/quantum-hot-sauce.html

It's available here, just don't have time to look for you.

thanks BenzoV but stuck to the first post, maybe because i'm porra i would drink the stuff before it finds its way to the reel

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    thanks BenzoV but stuck to the first post, maybe because i'm porra i would drink the stuff before it finds its way to the reel
    Hah ha mate,

Classic - That's the first time I've had a good laugh on this forum in ages.

You know the other thing you can use is graphite powder.
    I'm from the old fashioned mould and my drags are mostly still all cork....actually all of them!

Cals grease really is the be-all and end-all. Awesome stuff!

graphite powder? never used this stuff. being in the building game, i have heard of pencil lead (graphite) been used to lubricate items. does this graphite powder come dry od wet. if its dry, i can only imagen the how dirty an reel can look after lubbing it. btw Kevin, what do you use lub cork? i might be in the market for a few thin slices of cork, wanna try them in some of my reels including the sea reels

I'm pretty sure the pencil lead would be/do the same.

The graphite powder I'm referring to specifically is an extra fine lubrication graphite.
    It's designed as a lubricant to lock cylinders - you know when the keys are tight and the locks don't want to turn/open.

I was put onto the stuff years ago for drag washers.
    You are dead right though about the mess and stains it makes. You just have to be careful and remember that a lot is not needed.

With regards to cork maintenance, you only need to do this after extended outings or if you feel sticky drags.
    The most important thing is to remove all the old, dried crappy grease that is on the cork - clean it thoroughly!
    I generally use alcohol swabs or meths to get the dirt and grease off the cork.

There is a type of grease I use called marine grease that is the best out there.
    You need the tiniest bit to wipe on the cork again to re-coat.
    Crank drag down and test it - the cork should heat up and swell and you'll soon figure out if it's smooth or still slightly sticky.
    Just add a bit more lube if it is and go from there.

Remember - you don't have to drown the reel in grease and oil for it to work properly.

Hope this helps mate.

Pencil lead graphite has a very high component of clay in it, so it wouldn't be suitable for dry lubrication purposes. The gun shops sell a dry graphite lubricant, so maybe try that. I have never tied it but if it works for guns, it should work for reels. You can also buy "reel lube" from the fly shops, which is great, and I don't think it needs to be anything more than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin James View Post
    I'm pretty sure the pencil lead would be/do the same.

The graphite powder I'm referring to specifically is an extra fine lubrication graphite.
    It's designed as a lubricant to lock cylinders - you know when the keys are tight and the locks don't want to turn/open.

I was put onto the stuff years ago for drag washers.
    You are dead right though about the mess and stains it makes. You just have to be careful and remember that a lot is not needed.

With regards to cork maintenance, you only need to do this after extended outings or if you feel sticky drags.
    The most important thing is to remove all the old, dried crappy grease that is on the cork - clean it thoroughly!
    I generally use alcohol swabs or meths to get the dirt and grease off the cork.

There is a type of grease I use called marine grease that is the best out there.
    You need the tiniest bit to wipe on the cork again to re-coat.
    Crank drag down and test it - the cork should heat up and swell and you'll soon figure out if it's smooth or still slightly sticky.
    Just add a bit more lube if it is and go from there.

Remember - you don't have to drown the reel in grease and oil for it to work properly.

Hope this helps mate.
    Last edited by Andre; 22-02-16 at 10:13 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.