Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Ultimate Noob

RD sent you 2 PM's.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecJ View Post
    RD sent you 2 PM's.
    Sorry, I never got an email notification.. Will check it now

Quote Originally Posted by ravingDIODE View Post
    Howdy all,

ravingDIODE here, aka Riaan, from Durbanville...

I am totally new to the idea of fly fishing and only decided two weeks ago that I want to give it a bash after reading online that when targeting bass where dams are fished hard, often changing over to flies will have greater success. This prompted me to head down to the shops and start looking at fly gear.

I will be getting my first outfit from Winelands Flyfishing within the next week or two and will be targeting mostly dams and bass and hopefully Trout at Lakensvlei. My GF lives in Ceres and as a result I am there quite often and would like to start fishing around there regularly if possible.

I am looking forward to learning what I can from the forum and hopefully meeting some new folk along the road as I explore and ask a lot of questions :P

Cheers!

raving
    Welcome RD, nice to see a fellow GS'er here.

hay welcome! I am super new to fly fishing myself, I am in kuilsrivier, just around the block, maybe we can go fishing some time in the future!
    Welcome Alec. Nice to see you here as well.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    Shot! haha I am amazed how often I find other GS'ers on other forums :P

Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post

Welcome Alec. Nice to see you here as well.
    my magies, dankie!

Howdy all,

I am totally new to the idea of fly fishing and only decided two weeks ago that I want to give it a bash after reading online that when targeting bass where dams are fished hard, often changing over to flies will have greater success. This prompted me to head down to the shops and start looking at fly gear.

I will be getting my first outfit from Winelands Flyfishing within the next week or two and will be targeting mostly dams and bass and hopefully Trout at Lakensvlei. My GF lives in Ceres and as a result I am there quite often and would like to start fishing around there regularly if possible.

I am looking forward to learning what I can from the forum and hopefully meeting some new folk along the road as I explore and ask a lot of questions :P

Cheers!

raving
    hay welcome! I am super new to fly fishing myself, I am in kuilsrivier, just around the block, maybe we can go fishing some time in the future!
    my magies, dankie!
    Daai video het mooi gewerk. Nou moet ek net die silikoon maak. Whatsapp my asb 'n lys van die bestandele.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Howdy all,

Cheers!

raving
    For Bass I would go with a 7/8 weight a outfit as the flies you will be casting will be pretty big. See what your local outfitter has that will fit your pocket.
    For trout you will use a lighter set up 5 weight and less, but again find out out what waters you will be fishing and what the best outfit is for them from local anglers. Enjoy. FF will give you a life time of enjoyment
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Quote Originally Posted by briansflyfishing View Post
    For Bass I would go with a 7/8 weight a outfit as the flies you will be casting will be pretty big. See what your local outfitter has that will fit your pocket.
    For trout you will use a lighter set up 5 weight and less, but again find out out what waters you will be fishing and what the best outfit is for them from local anglers. Enjoy. FF will give you a life time of enjoyment
    Thanks! I ended up with the Grays G10 7 weight 9' and took a steel explorer reel with it and aeroflow floating line to start with. I would like to get a better reel at some stage in the future but I am quite happy with the rod so far.

I am headed to Lakensvlei this afternoon for 2 or 3 hours to practise and see if I can't maybe catch some bass or by any luck a trout. I went and bought a very cheap sinking line at Somerset sport yesterday to add to my spare spool which I will also just try out before heading home and provided I haven't caught anything yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2