Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Noob

Cool The Ultimate Noob

Howdy all,

ravingDIODE here, aka Riaan, from Durbanville...

I am totally new to the idea of fly fishing and only decided two weeks ago that I want to give it a bash after reading online that when targeting bass where dams are fished hard, often changing over to flies will have greater success. This prompted me to head down to the shops and start looking at fly gear.

I will be getting my first outfit from Winelands Flyfishing within the next week or two and will be targeting mostly dams and bass and hopefully Trout at Lakensvlei. My GF lives in Ceres and as a result I am there quite often and would like to start fishing around there regularly if possible.

I am looking forward to learning what I can from the forum and hopefully meeting some new folk along the road as I explore and ask a lot of questions :P

Cheers!

raving

hay welcome! I am super new to fly fishing myself, I am in kuilsrivier, just around the block, maybe we can go fishing some time in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by AlecJ View Post
    hay welcome! I am super new to fly fishing myself, I am in kuilsrivier, just around the block, maybe we can go fishing some time in the future!
    I will definitely be looking for people around that I can fish with in the future. I fish the Sontraal dam mostly for bass and at Rosendal but will be looking elsewhere now as well.

Someone mentioned Door De Kraal but I have no idea where that is, although it is in or near Durbanville..

I have wanted to go to sonstraal, but aparently you may not fish there? do you have special permits? I do not know door de kraal. I go to a dam out on the botelary road there is two dams we fish there.

I have wanted to go to sonstraal, but aparently you may not fish there? do you have special permits? I do not know door de kraal. I go to a dam out on the botelary road there is two dams we fish there.
    Which dams at Bottelary?

At the moment I am just spinning for bass. There are two dams. The bottom one isn't allowed to be fished in but the top one is. Well one board says yes and the other no. But the top and smaller dam has been fished since 1969 ish (one toppie told me that he fished since then in this dam). There are always people fishing and weekends people sitting right around. Quite a pretty dam, go check it out. Rosendal is the dam between the houses on your right as your drive along Old Oak before reaching Tygervalley.

I live 150m from Sonstraal dam, go there early 7 to 9. fish not problem.
    When the people start getting more, go home. Good sight fishing for carp on fly.
    Some bass as well.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Door de kraal is at the top of jip de jager. When you get to the last set of robots before the dead end, left to go to majik forest, and on the right is door de kraal. The is a closed period but should be open now for summer.
    Regards,
    Leonardo

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I live 150m from Sonstraal dam, go there early 7 to 9. fish not problem.
    When the people start getting more, go home. Good sight fishing for carp on fly.
    Some bass as well.
    Korrie, I fished there a lot last year and started now again the last two weeks (hyundai with Brother branding all over), do you come down to the dam often?

So far with the bass, most of them I caught at lunch time, mid-day and some in the evenings with swimbaits or top water frog lure. But the bass is very finicky once they see you on the edge of the water..

Quote Originally Posted by leo1357 View Post
    Door de kraal is at the top of jip de jager. When you get to the last set of robots before the dead end, left to go to majik forest, and on the right is door de kraal. The is a closed period but should be open now for summer.
    Ahhhh! Thanks, I live very closeby and it falls under our neighbourhood watch area that we patrol. Don't know how I missed that

Quote Originally Posted by ravingDIODE View Post
    Korrie, I fished there a lot last year and started now again the last two weeks (hyundai with Brother branding all over), do you come down to the dam often?

if I do not spend to much time at the office, I walk my dog there most of the days.
    Sunday mornings I will go with a rod early see if I spot a fish or 2
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Geez didnt know people still fish sonstraal. Used to fish there when I was very young, then they started chasing people away... Think I need to take a drive there. (like 10min haha)
    Regards,
    Leonardo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast