Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Sage tarts

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Hi Nick
    What's the weight of your current reel?

Nick, that's heavy for a reel to fit a 2wt. I would look around half that, or at least up to3oz. Why not try a click and pawl reel, you will save a lot of weight?
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Yes I though that but it only ways 4.9oz ��

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

You guys are theexpert and I am the beginner. Why do people fuss so much about the weight of the reel vs the weight of the rod? how much does the rod weigh? why do most people measure a fly reels weight on a dry rod? what does roughly 20ft line weigh? I feel a rod with slightly heavier reel balances a rod out way better with some line out than a lighter reel. Just my 5c worth....no point in trying to balance a setup by simply holding it in your hand and guessing or dry wobbling the crap out of a rod like some folks in the shop do loooooooooooooool
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    Hi Nick
    What's the weight of your current reel?
    It's an xplorer small arbor xpla. . It's the same weight. ..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

I don't think there should be an issue with the Sage reel. With fitting larger reels on light line rods the traditional 2wt reel for 2wt rod does not apply. The only one that really comes into play is swing weight. As I understand it and maybe someone with more credibility can explain. The longer the rod the more swing weight it has therefore your reel has to balance that weight. Your 2wt XP for for eg. is a longish rod (8'6" I think) so the new reel should balance the swing weight of the rod given that there is no difference in weight between the two reels.

Quote Originally Posted by emjaysmit View Post
    You guys are theexpert and I am the beginner. Why do people fuss so much about the weight of the reel vs the weight of the rod? how much does the rod weigh? why do most people measure a fly reels weight on a dry rod? what does roughly 20ft line weigh? I feel a rod with slightly heavier reel balances a rod out way better with some line out than a lighter reel. Just my 5c worth....no point in trying to balance a setup by simply holding it in your hand and guessing or dry wobbling the crap out of a rod like some folks in the shop do loooooooooooooool

Andre is the best person to explain this @Andre
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    I don't think there should be an issue with the Sage reel. With fitting larger reels on light line rods the traditional 2wt reel for 2wt rod does not apply. The only one that really comes into play is swing weight. As I understand it and maybe someone with more credibility can explain. The longer the rod the more swing weight it has therefore your reel has to balance that weight. Your 2wt XP for for eg. is a longish rod (8'6" I think) so the new reel should balance the swing weight of the rod given that there is no difference in weight between the two reels.
    Thanks yep it is 8ft.6, its the Derek Smith rod I bought on here a couple years back just a side note Sage rods out perform most stock market shares I checked Flea bay now for the same rod and one guy is asking $500 (R8000) I paid R1500 bucks for mine
    James Boswell.

You guys are theexpert and I am the beginner. Why do people fuss so much about the weight of the reel vs the weight of the rod? how much does the rod weigh? why do most people measure a fly reels weight on a dry rod? what does roughly 20ft line weigh?
    I feel a rod with slightly heavier reel balances a rod out way better with some line out than a lighter reel. Just my 5c worth....no point in trying to balance a setup by simply holding it in your hand and guessing or dry wobbling the crap out of a rod like some folks in the shop do loooooooooooooool
    You and answer in the same post. Balancing an outfit with the physical reel weight is important. Rod length, fishing/casting style/technique all have an effect. Swing weight as well. It's not rocket science to the point of balancing it to the mg, but you also just *should not* grab any weight reel and expect it to balance out the outfit well or even perfectly.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

We are talking about light river tackle here, and a 2wt, being a very light rod (verging on ultra light) should really be used with equipment in the same class. If you have fished with very light equipment on a tight trout stream, you will know the delicate little close range flick casts that are required. this is what ultra light fishing is about, so, always nice to keep consistency in the weight class when fishing light. One of course can wax lyrical about balancing swing weight and a whole host of other things, but to be quite honest, most people need experience to be able to feel the swing weight of a rod in order to tell it is unbalanced. Besides, I actually quite like a heavy swing weight due to the style of fishing I do, so its very much a personal thing.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Nick, to answer your question (with another one). Sage never made a #2 XP rod in 4-pieces - they started with a 386. Unless it is the 2-piece version??

Anyway, I think the rod would work fine with that reel, especially with a dry and some line out.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast