Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Highland Run

Thanx all u guys for all the tips and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    Thought it was invitation only?
    That could well be true Mario. I think it is a closed shop, works on a time share basis. Maybe Jasper can tell us more in the morning.

In my case I was lucky to have a hot connection, a close friend of Doug Starling. One phone call and I was in. I was extremely privileged to experience the place under Doug's personal guidance and it will definitely go down as one of the highlights in my life, one that I will never forget.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

The Spekboom, Steenkamps and Majubane rivers flow through Finsbury and then through Highland Run. The water then continues down to the most exclusive of them all, Nooitgedacht, then on to Rivendell.

All of this just the other side of Lydenburg.

Finsbury has a hatchery where rainbows and browns are nurtured and released into the rivers.

As far as flies go, it depends on the flow and clarity of the water. One river system further up could be dirty, while another could be clean, it just depends. I would take a selection of bead head nymphs and some dries.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Jono Shales; 27-11-07 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    That could well be true Mario. I think it is a closed shop, works on a time share basis. Maybe Jasper can tell us more in the morning.
    it certainly WAS only for "members" .. very exclusive and very expensive. I was flown up there as a 50th birthday present by my (late - murdered) brother .. it was truly an amazing 3 days!!!

I suggest that if/when Matuka wakes up he could give you more info .. but it WILL cost you an arm and a few other assorted body parts!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post

In my case I was lucky to have a hot connection, a close friend of Doug Starling. One phone call and I was in. I was extremely privileged to experience the place under Doug's personal guidance and it will definitely go down as one of the highlights in my life, one that I will never forget.
    I've been trying to get into Highland Run for quite a number of years now, and have been bumped at every corner So, if anyone has any definate answers on how to get into Highland Run, please share, even if it is expensive, one can always make a plan (read: sell the wife)!

There is another Starling managed water if I'm not mistaken, cannot remember, but is'nt it "Silver ..." something?? Please help out ...
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Well I gave the Highlands Meander Administration Office
    a call and they said there would be no problem arranging it

http://www.highlandsmeander.co.za/ac...ion/index.html

Highland Run, Lydenburg. Map Reference: L14

She said if I sent her an email she would respond with the pricing ect..
    as Im not going to stay there I did not respond.

Its worth a try
    Last edited by Deneys; 27-11-07 at 08:16 AM.
    NOTICE :

If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice
    is not worth noticing thank you for
    NOTICING

Best thing to do is contact Doug Starling directly and ask him.

My old man is on the board at Finsbury, I just called him and this is what he told me. He will call Doug in a day or so and ask what's the best way to book there. He did mention that it's quite pricey, not sure how much though.

There are members at Highland run and naturally any members will have first priority over non-members, however there are cancallations and available weeks / weekends do pop up.

I'll let you guys know when I hear back

Incidentally, Gerhard also runs a hatchery @ Rivendell.

He trickle stocks with larger specimens in the 2lb to 4lb range to augment the natural brood stock. It's great being able to hit little Troot still sporting their parr markings in the riffle water and then having a go at larger fish in the tail-outs.

AFAIK, with Finsbury you can only fish if you're a resident or the invited guest of a resident.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

That's correct, Finsbury is a private estate however Highland Run and Nooitgedacht can be accessed by the public. Not sure about how Rivendell works

Rivendell is easy, you phone, you book, you visit, you fish, you have a great time and meet great people (Andre, the missus as well as his mom)

Their Website used to be http://www.rivendellreserve.co.za

The accoms are VERY S/O friendly and due to the size it encourages families or groups of friends, which kinda sucks if you want to be alone, unless you're happy to foot the bill, but then again fishing with a companion in close proximity turn fishing the pockets can also be very rewarding.

Nothing quite like waking up, watching fish rise in Frodo's run no more than 10M away, walking 3M, crouching 2M, cast and into your first fish all before the sun is up.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast