Thread: Yellows in The Hell?

Default Yellows in The Hell?

Has anyone fished for yellows in the Gamka River where it flows through The Hell (a.k.a. Gamkaskloof in the Swartberg Nature Reserve)? I know that hey are found further downstream in the Calitzdorp area. Any advice? I am sure someone must have tried the area before now, or shall I just go explore?.
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Yip, I have fished there.
    Water was very dirty, probably 2cm of viz.
    The river comes out of the Karoo, via the Gamkapoort dam, thru the mountain towards Calitzdorp.
    Water was let out from the dam upstream. (Rain in the Karoo leads to very dirty water flowing into the Gamkapoort Dam.)
    Got broken off once, in the river, but that was all, more than that I cannot tell you.
    We went right up to the very end of the valley.
    There are tiny tribs, crystal clear and ended up fishing for some indigenous small fish as fun.
    The "Public access" goes up to a point and then it is private land.
    There is a MTB track thru the Hell out on the other side where you end up at the Seweweekspoort pass.
    We got 4 MTB guys, with one who blew his knee just before they went over the mountain.
    They did not know if to go back or over as their pickup would be waiting in the pass.
    If I do it again, I would walk downstream from the river crossing and explore there as we went more upstream.
    At the low water bridge, where you cross the river, upstream just behind the big section of reeds, there is a big pool, might be worth to have a look at that again.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Jip, try it.

There might also be bass, carp and bluegill in the water. And Cape Kurper and other small fish. I just dont have any idea in terms of water flow at the moment, but if there is water, there just might be fish.

Thanks for the replies. I'll go explore then!
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

I would go straight to the big pool as explained above. That might be the only option to catch bigger fish. Also had fun catching bass and red fins on small(#20) hooks with handline in the cristal clear water.
    Otherwise rent a Mtb and suck up the beauty of this valley.
    Just one more cast.......... make it count ...........