Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Otters vs Trout

I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

While fishing last friday I saw for the 1st time an otter entering the water swimming close to the tube.

The otter did not spend a long time in the dam and the yellow bill ducks did not like him one bit...

Neat experience.

I also saw the white otter mount at Elandskloof. They do get nice and big...
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Did you ever get to sort out the problem otters?

Ingo at Outeniqua Trout Lodge found that if he stocked with small fish, the otters weren't interested in them and by the time they had grown to prey size, they were clever enough to evade predation.

If his theory works, it would be a fairly simple solution - stock with fingerlings instead of 1Kg stockies

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Taylor View Post
    Did you ever get to sort out the problem otters?

Ingo at Outeniqua Trout Lodge found that if he stocked with small fish, the otters weren't interested in them and by the time they had grown to prey size, they were clever enough to evade predation.

If his theory works, it would be a fairly simple solution - stock with fingerlings instead of 1Kg stockies
    Fingerlings get chowed by Cormorants.

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Thats why we shoot the ''bastards''.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

One must expect to loose some of the fish stocked to nature be it otter, cormorants, heat, cold what ever.

I believe if you stock trout of the 500g size you will have a better chance of getting mature fish.
    Gerhard Delport

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Ah. Didn't think of that.

have you guys seen the size of the otters in the vaal river!!!those things eat the fishermen that stay late i reckon!!!

glad they not swimming around in my trout dams, would be like that crocodile attacking the tube in that river the other day!

Yeah Gazza, often caught fish with hefty chunks out of em.

Got some pap gooier friends that went to the vaal dam not too long ago that swear the otters stole fish out of the net without opening or breaking the net - think it was like a 4kg carp. I reckon the carp tuned bugger this boet - been here - done this - i am outta here and closing the door behind me

So how many guys here has seen otters in the trout still waters or streams while fishing or otter spoor?

They may take a couple of trout but surely the numbers are not that many to have trout population in a still water decimated by them...

I have lived in Dullstroom for 7 years in mid 80's and spend a lot of time next to the water and also after we moved away from Dullies and I have only seen my 1st otter last weekend...
    Gerhard Delport

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast