Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Ideal rod length for nymphing

I use mine straight plus I use a permanent marker for barring.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Tamer View Post
    I use mine straight plus I use a permanent marker for barring.
    Gerrit
    you are very experienced in "reading" the indicator.
    I would say that the majority of fly fishers will not "see" the take if they start of this way.
    i would suggest that you start of using the indicators that will "Show" the take the easiest.
    Then work from there.
    For me, I prefer the thin coiled wrapped over a needle or similar type of thickness
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Plentipotential View Post
    R339?! jiso... I think I paid R18 for a packet of green and pink indicator from Philip
    Regards,
    Leonardo

R220 from Tafa.

Anyone use the coil like Pascal showed us? Basically a straight line pulled over an edge to provide a bit of coil, but nothing like the curly tails spoken of above. He said those (the pre-made ones like above) were definitely not french if I remember correctly and he had no idea where they originated.

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Anyone use the coil like Pascal showed us? Basically a straight line pulled over an edge to provide a bit of coil, but nothing like the curly tails spoken of above. He said those (the pre-made ones like above) were definitely not french if I remember correctly and he had no idea where they originated.
    Yip that is what he said.
    But the first time I saw one of the curly's it was fished by a Frenchman in France at the Worldchamps.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    PS: when the mono is pulled over the back edge of knife etc, it gives a very loose curl, which is very sensitive and easy to "read"
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    PS: when the mono is pulled over the back edge of knife etc, it gives a very loose curl, which is very sensitive and easy to "read"
    I just fish it that way. Either straight braid, straight mono, or an edge pulled coil.

Straight for Yellows. I would miss the strike while that lot "uncoiled" I would imagine. The marked price is high, there is a discount off that, not sure what it cost before the Rand's demise prior to November but Rio is imported by Jandi Trading so I cannot see there being a massive price difference between shops. Truth be told you don't put a new piece on every time you go fishing so it lasts a long time, I use three segments at a time (red, green, red). Besides I shop where it's convenient and I drive past Solly's in Booysens at least once a week.
    Last edited by Plentipotential; 14-04-16 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Gerrit
    you are very experienced in "reading" the indicator.
    I would say that the majority of fly fishers will not "see" the take if they start of this way.
    i would suggest that you start of using the indicators that will "Show" the take the easiest.
    Then work from there.
    For me, I prefer the thin coiled wrapped over a needle or similar type of thickness
    Oh i beg to differ - the straight way is very sensitive and will be very easy for someone of any level to use. As someone that fishes this way maybe once a year, this method is very easy to pick up.

I think you guys are making something that is actually quite simple, into a very complicated solution for no apparent reason.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast